Stearns and Fosters or Kingsdown?

I want to look for a great bed and i went to sleepys and i love the new Stearns and Fosters with the pillow top but someone told me that Kingsdown would be better.. However I feel that Stearns and Fosters may be a better choice.. Any thoughts?

Also, do you think that a softer bed is better or firmer?

Thanks

• ?
    Favorite Answer

Mattresses are such a personal thing. I have purchased both manufacturers and love them equally. The comfort level is entirely up to how you feel. No one else can determine that. Make sure that you lay on each one for at least 15 minutes,(5 min. each side and back and stomach if this is a position). Ask them what their comfort return policy is. Sleepy's is a very good company and may allow a 30 day trial but ask if there is a charge should you do so.

EDIT: I just reviewed consumer reports and although it is not always a reliable source, found that (Sealy's) Sterns and Foster is rated as top seller, Simmons, #2 and Serta, #3 but there are no consumer ratings. I also found the following:

A study published in 2003 in the British medical journal Lancet suggested that people who suffer from lower back pain would benefit from a medium-firm mattress. That made sense to several experts we interviewed. If a mattress is too firm, it won’t support the body evenly and may cause discomfort at the heaviest points (hips and shoulders). If it’s too soft, a sleeper could sink into the surface and have a hard time moving, which could cause tingling, numbness, or aches.

Alan Hedge Ph.D., professor of ergonomics at Cornell University, noted that the best mattress supports the spine at all points while allowing it to maintain its natural curve. By age 40, Hedge said, skin loses elasticity and becomes more sensitive to pressure points, so a softer, more cushiony surface is more comfortable. “Slightly softer works better because there’s less compression on the skin.”

Source(s): One more thing. If you get the pillow top, consider a low profile box spring. Check out the total height.
  • ?

Kingsdown Mattress Consumer Report

My husband and I are huge comparison shoppers when it comes to spending our money. For about $700.-$800. you can expect a pretty good mattress set that will last about seven years and then after that, they start to sag a little, or the 'integrity' just seems to start giving. I don't care what their guarantee says. Of course the weight of the people sleeping on the mattress can make a huge difference in how long the set will last. But in order to not be disappointed in your purchase, do not expect it to perform like new for over seven years. At least this way, you won't be disappointed. I went online to read the reviews of several mattresses and found out that in many countries, boxsprings are not really needed if the mattress is on a firm foundation. As far as comfort is concerned, one survey I saw indicated that no difference could be felt between a mattress selling for $20,000,00 and one selling for $700.00. Maybe the higher priced one would last longer, but I could invest that money in something that wouldn't depreciate.

It took my husband and I two years to find the right bed. Mattress-world is the most insanely complex consumer purchase in the world today. No other purchase one makes will take more time, more research, more patience, and garner more hair-pulling and utter aggravation than buying a new mattress. Unless, of course, one has money to throw down the drain to replace the poor purchase one initially made, *sigh*.

I wrote a whole thing about this in answer to someone else on this forum, and just can't write it all again, (it's so information-laden). Here is the link; it will be well-worth-your-while to read it... http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Akk4z...

We ended-up buying a Jaclyn Smith Perfect Solutions mattress and couldn't be happier. We got it at Sleep America two years ago. We're so happy with it that, when it comes time to replace, we'll buy another.

http://www.jaclynsmith.com/perfectsolution.html

_______________________________

Source(s): _______________________________ Life Experience and Tenacious Study.

Its all in what you want