Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 1 decade ago

Does anyone else agree that Elvis Presley was horrendously overrated?

Jerry Lee Lewis was way more talented

=P

Favorite Answer

Overrated for what? Musical ability? Almost certainly. The King of Rock and Roll? No.

I agree that he was not as creative as SO MANY rockers. Here are just a few who probably had more talent. Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, JLee Lewis, Little Richard, James Brown, Jimi Hendrix, Chuck Berry... MJackson, Stevie Wonder... freaking Ray Charles.... Hank Williams.

and Elvis basically took what had up to then been "black music" and used that to get his fame. I totally agree.

BUT, Elvis was the guy who did it. People would beat him up, call him a n****** lover, call him a hillbilly or trailer trash or whatever, and he was dumb as rocks. And then he became HUGE and everyone kind of forgot about the race lines separating music. He was the ONE GUY who brought it all together. All the other famous ones were black, or hispanic, or dreadfully nerdy (Buddy Holly), or piano players (JLL). Elvis had the guitar, the hips, and the sex.

He was the right man at the right time. Sometimes that makes all the difference.

Elvis was not a great musician, but he was a great entertainer. He was the King.

• ?

Wow, Denver. You sure ask the most controversial questions.

Anyways, I'm really not an Elvis Presley fan. I much prefer Elvis Costello. But I respect Elvis... I mean, to make parents think their kids are posessed by the Devil, you must have some kinda talent.

My dad can't stand Garth Brooks because they based the country music business around him and when I say that I don't like Elvis Presley he gets all pissy at me and says that I can't do that if I wanna' like rock music. So what I don't get is why it's okay not to like Garth Brooks for that reason but it's not okay for the same reason to not like Elvis Presley. Who's Jerry Lee Lewis??

Elvis was the clear King of Rock and Roll and whether you liked his particular brand or not, he opened doors that no other entertainer had before.

Before anyone else did, it...Elvis did it first. I'm not a huge Elvis fan, but his contribution to Rock is like Shakrespeare's to drama.

they all are they are human i liked johnny cash more then presley and dean martin more then jerry lee lewis they all were talented but all the mj hype takes the cake enough already

i agree completely with rumbler. Elvis is to rock 'n' roll as Ozzy Osbourne/Black Sabbath are to heavy metal. id doesn't matter how much you like them, the genre either wouldn't exist or would be COMPLETELY DIFFERENT without them.

hell yes

NO!!

no.