Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Games & RecreationVideo & Online Games · 1 decade ago

Is it illegal to download games from websites like The Pirate Bay?

They are based in Sweden, so is it a violation of US law? I have never downloaded anything from this site, and I wanted to know before I consider it.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

If the game you are downloading is copyrighted, then YES it is illegal. It's like buying cocaine from Mexico or something, the act itself is illegal in the US even if it is legal elsewhere.

Source(s): common sense I guess
  • Topaz
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

???

It's not legal to download them anywhere.

Piratebay simply puts up links to downloads so they say they aren't doing anything wrong.

If you download it you ARE breaking the law.

For a moral basis I only download games if they are old or if the company broke up.

If the developers would not gain money from you purchasing it in a shop, or if it is not available any other way go for it!

• 1 decade ago

Yes, the website may be from sweeden, but you're still downloading a game from a software in the U.S.

Source(s): Friend got a phone call from the feds for downloading movies from the pirate bay.
  • 1 decade ago

If the material is copyrighted, and you are supposed to pay for it but are circumventing this by getting it free from the pirate bay, yeah it's illegal.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes, stay away from public trackers. It is also easy to get spyware and virii from them.

Signup at a site (private tracker)

also download Peerguardian 2

then you should be ok

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes, but it is likely you won't be caught and very unlikely you would be prosecuted.

• 1 decade ago

Yes it is illegal. You're stealing software by downloading it.

• 1 decade ago

pirate bay is illegal!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

ya it is illegal...but it is not likely that you will get caught...

• 1 decade ago

Yes.

But we do it anyway

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.