How to drill through Aluminum?

I want to drill a .5 cm hole into a .5-1cm thick piece of of what i think is aluminum(it is pretty soft.) using common tools (a drill) what do i need and need to do to get the job done.

thx

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Use a regular twist drill bit, like you probably already have. Aluminum is quite easy to drill through.

The biggest challenge will be securing the piece and drill adequately so the bit doesn't skip or move when starting. Once it's started, it should be straightforward to orient. A drill press makes these easier, but it can be done fairly easily with a portable drill, even a hand-powered drill.

• 3 years ago

Drill Bit For Aluminum

• Erika
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Drilling Aluminum

• jjnsao
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Not sure if you know about how to sharpen a drill bit but will to try to explain best I can for what you need.

Drill bits are sharpened to dig in to metal. You do not want that with soft metals like aluminum.

Take the drill bit and feel the cutting edge on it, you will feel how it want to grab. Now take a small grinder and on the very cutting edge of the bit face it off flat so it does not dig in.

If you are confused then go to a work shop and talk to the people there, one will know what I am talking about.

You do this with Aluminum, and metals like cast iron.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Here's what I would do. You need 2 pieces of steel preferbly 1/8 inch. Drill a small pilot hole in the 2 pieces of steel and a pilot in your aluminum. then line the pilot holes up and clamp them all 3 together keeping your aluminum piece in the middle. I suggest doing your drilling on a drill press where you can control the pressure and movement.

Source(s): 30 years home builder
  • 1 decade ago

Just use a good quality cobalt drill bit. Go slow and steady and don't use too much pressure. A steady stream of water will help keep the bit cool and stay sharp longer.

Wearing gloves and safety glasses is a good idea

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.