Do you need a phone line for a home security system?

Just curious, we have a little office space, but are using cell phones - haven't hooked up a phone line. I want to get the "Mace Wireless Home Security System" from Walmart, but do I need a phone line for that to work? It dials numbers so I'm assuming it has to be connected to a phone line. Just wondering because I can't buy it from the store, so I need to know ahead of time if I'm in for making another bill for phone service.

Favorite Answer

Some types of security systems you do need a phone line, like the one you want. Note that these systems almost always require a monthly fee & contract.

I would personally recommend a 4 Camera CCTV harddrive system as the specifications have recently gotten much more advanced, and they are extremely good value. You can get 4 NV cameras, cables and processor/harddrive unit for about $600, but you can find them for less.

I would alsrecommendnd PIR Halogen lights for outside, as they are very inexpensive.

If you are on a seriously tight budget I have seen extremelyRealisticc dome CCTV dummy cameras for about $2, but make sure that it has no flashing red light, as this is a dead give away to criminals; real security cameras never have flashing LEDs.

Hope that helps.

Source(s): In the UK we have Maplins where we buy this sort of thing, I think your equivalent is RadioShack, start your search there.

Some types of home security system needs the phone line. So you can choose at ease with your preferences. Also, you can have some discussion with the professionals over the phone. The no. is given in the source box.

Source(s): 855-237-4808

need two phone lines for the security system