Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Why did Michael Jackson wear the tape on his fingers?

Was there any specific reason why Michael Jackson wore tape on the end of several of his fingers? I would see the point if he were playing an instrument such as guitar or something... Just curious!

Favorite Answer

Michael Jackson began wearing tape on his fingers due to a disease had called Vitiligo. Vitiligo causes skin tone to change, and when Jackson was first diagnosed with this disorder, it was the skin on his fingers and arms that began losing pigment then he began wearing long sleeved shirts or jackets and tape on his fingers to hide his loss of pigment. Over the years, the tape became a fashion statement and he continued to wear it.

Michael Jackson Band Aid

I saw the making of moonwalker. they asked michael why he had tape on his fingers, and he said 'to add to his character' meaning he did it for no reason...he did for a little mystery, On another interview MJ said that it drew attention to his hands and feet when he danced so the audience would focus on his dance moves. It has nothing to do with vitiligo.

It really was to hide the white spots that did appear on his fingers. The spots looked as if he had been burned and it was noticeable. Unfortunately the loss of pigmentation was very evident in Michael and he knew that it would distract the viewers.

It's written in Moonwalk (the book). It's for better seeing his hands moving on stage. He the wore tape so it would draw peoples attention to every move he made with his hands as well as his body. It has nothing to do with his vitiligo.

Personally I thought it was just a fashion thing, just like the one white glove and the white socks etc. For some reason he always wore it on the 1st, 3rd and 4th fingers.

A couple of websites say that it was to hide the vitiligo patches but I don't really believe that was the reason.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3314825/

"He said it drew attention to his hands and feet when he danced so the audience would focus on his dance moves." - That is awesome!!! I never would have thought of that! Michael came up with some really intelligent ideas! R.I.P Michael.

he had fungus on his nails, there are pictures of his fingers without the tapes around the bad era that show fungus on his nails, all the above answers are pure speculation

I think it was a fashion thing. Just like how the rapper Nelly wore a band-aid on his face for no apparent reason.

May be for the same reason he wore the glove and sparkle socks. He said it drew attention to his hands and feet when he danced so the audience would focus on his dance moves.

Or maybe it was part of his individuality and style. He wanted to be unique and a trend setter. Which he did very well.