Do We Need Nuclear Weapons?

I am doing a little research on nuclear weapons and i would like to know your opinion on the U.S. owning nuclear weapons. Should we have them? Why or Why not?

Thank you for answering my question.

Favorite Answer

In the period of time between 1914 and 1945 somewhere between 70 and 100 million people were killed in wars. Since 1945, the number has declined dramatically. It should be noted that few of the civilians of nations that acquired nuclear weapons have died in wars. There is an advantage to being so dangerous nobody wants to attack you.

Nuclear weapons off are an all or nothing doubled edged sword. It may be that war becomes so terrifyingly expensive to those with something to lose that it ceases to be amongst nations. Or it may be that some parties exterminate large chunks of humanity.

The irony of history is that the more lethal our weapons the more peaceful we've become. Our neolithic ancestors murdered each other with such regularity that despite their lack of good shelter, medication, steady food, or sanitation as well as an abundance of dangers such as wild animals, the leading cause of death for neolithic humans was other neolithic humans.

If America did not have them - if all of Americas nuclear weapons magically vanished overnight you can bet by the end of the week some other country will have wiped us off the map with their nuclear weapons.

Its not a pretty world. People need to wake up and realize America is not the bad guys here.

Right now we have North Korea making threats to strike Hawaii with a missile. The only thing stopping them from doing so is the fact that they know we could destroy them ten times over.

Getting rid of our nukes would be like sending a cop out on duty with no gun.

Sorry to say this (though I am a UK citizen) I do believe we need nuclear weapons to protect our countries I mean right now we have to be careful that mad despot of a dictator in North Korea is threatening the world with nuclear war and I wouldn't put it past him if he started a nuclear war I just hope it never happens. But yes I think we need nuclear weapons.

The U.S. will always have, and always need nuclear weapons due to several other nations having them. Hopefully they will only be used as a deterrent. We have them and will use them if anyone uses them on us or our allies. Until the next big breakthrough in weapons technology is invented or unveiled which could make nuclear weapons obsolete, we will have to depend on having them for our national security.

No one needs nuclear weapons. The only reason the small countries struggling to have them is because others do. " If they have them why can't we?" is their motive I can imagine. Too bad a nuclear weapon-free world will never happen because I very much doubt if the top countries ever agree to dismantle all their arsenals. Because of its destructive power, nuclear weapon is like a trump card that will guarantee victory, or at least a bitter retaliation against the attacker so everyone want to have it.

Nukes and assured mutual destruction is what kept the cold war from escalating. Yes we need nuclear weapons.

Yes and No

Nuclear weapons should be used as a threaten element for diplomacy.

For example, when N Korea launched a nuke to Hawaii, and it was brought down by the missile defense shield, U.S. still have its right to launch nuke to ash N Korea. However, diplomacy would use tht possibility to negotiate with N Korea in order to turn it off in the first place.

• Pheemz

While countries like Russia and China have nukes then countries like Britain and the US need them too. Mutual Assured Destruction is a wonderful tool for creating peace.

Well I think that the USA is responsible enough to have them unlike some places like North Korea who just wants to shoot them like bottle rockets.

• I don't believe the U.S. needed them to begin with but now that many other nations have them, it needs them to offset the threat of their use.