promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

What can Vegan's eat?

Can someone please give me a list on what vegan's can eat.

I am just wondering.

And please give me a list of foods, if possible! :D

Thanks. :D

Update:

So like defiantly no milk, or chocolate?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Let's see, the basics would be:

every single vegetable and fruit under the sun

every single grain you can think of,including quinoa,spelt,millet,kamut,brown rice,buckwheat,etc.

pasta

soy milk

soy cheese,

soy yoghurt

soy cream cheese

rice milk

rice cheese

soy cream

soy ice cream

pretzels

chips with out cheese or sour cream

bread (with out milk or eggs)

soups of all kinds,here's a few examples:

and meat based soups but with vegetable or mushroom stock

cool cucumber soup(with soy yoghurt)

chilled ginger peach soup with cashew cream

gazpacho

vegan szechuan hot and sour soup

miso soup

thai style coconut soup

indian-spiced lentil soup

yellow split pea soup

cuban black bean soup

winter vegetable bisque

roasted corn chowder

vegetable gumbo

I have even made a vegan "chicken"soup;and italian wedding soup;New Englan clam chowder,all vegan

Vegans eat amazing salads such as:

Asian Pear and baby spinach salad with warm walnut dressing

Thai style papaya salad

Gabo-Gabo,an indonesian-style vegetable salad

even a pseudo caesar salad

and a vegan taco salad

mashed potatoes,baked potatoes,roast veggies,

For Thanksgiving I make a tofu roast,which meat-eaters even love,cranberry sauce,a yam pecan bake,stuffed butternut squash,gravy and even pumpkin pie made with fresh pumpkin

I've made vegan german potato salad,pasta salads

We eat Indian,some italian,mexican,ethiopian,thai,chinese,japanese,vietnamese,and even american foods,to name a few ethnicities.

I have made a vegan shepard's pie,chili,pot pie,many amazing vegan pizzas,some which have turned vegetable fearing friends into vegetable lovers,I have made incredible vegan lasagnas,better than any I had as a meat eater, I have had great,fun and healthy BBQ's with any thing from grilled vegetables,tofu,seitan,tempeh,

I have made my own gnocchi,ravioli,dumplings,and pot stickers

I have also made incredible desserts such as key lime "cheesecake",peanut putter "cheesecake", chocolate fudge cake,chocolate pudding cake,chocolate chip cookies (better than any even my mom made!), I have made fruit crumbles,fruit cobblers,ginger cookies,peanut butter cookies,chocolate pudding,strawberry shortcake,strawberry rhubarb pie,apple pie,peach pie,oatmeal cookies,brownies,biscotti,cupcakes of any kind imaginableand even vegan ice cream.

Vegans also eat meat substitutes such as tofu,which nowadays is not just the plain mushy stuff,we now have it marinated,smoked,oriental flavors,italian,and thai flavors. We have some made with peanut and ginger,champignons,and arame. We have seitan,which is a wheat meat,we have tempeh,and TVP or texturized vegetable protein.

I've made vegan sloppy joes,burgers,burritos,casseroles made with so many different things,and amazing spicy chickpea crusted pot pie,that my meat-loving guests couldn't believe how amazing it was.

I have made french toast,my own granola,tofu scramble,pancakes,waffles,struedels,muffins, scones,huervos rancheros, refried beans,frittata,bread pudding,and my own bagels.

I could go on for hours and hours about what we vegans eat,but the final note is,anything and everything that does not contain animal flesh,or parts. As a vegan,we do have to and get to be much more imaginative than the average meat-eater. It's the most fun I've ever had eating and cooking. I have introduced so many meat-eaters on to a whole other world of food,and a whole other way of eating,they have always left really stuffed and happy with the dinner I make them.I really love being a vegan.

As to your additional detail question,we eat dark chocolate,which tastes better and is much better for you. As for milk,as above,we eat soy,rice, oat, almond,hazelnut,and grain milks. Instead of eggs,in baking,I use an egg replacer,which you can buy,or I use flax seeds,banana or tofu. Hope this helps.

Source(s): A number of vegan cookbooks,here's a few- Vegan Planet; La Dolce Vegan; How it all Vegan; In the Garden of Vegan; Everyday Vegan;Veganomican;Vegan with a Vengeance,and Vegnews and even Vegetarian Times.
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

The list would be too long -

Here is the short list of what i do not eat.

- Honey

- Animal products (inc. Gelatin, rennet)

- Refined Sugars

- Dairy

- Eggs

- Processed foods (refined sugars, emulsifying agents, dyes such as cochneal, you have never know what they are hiding in there)

I pretty much eat fresh whole foods, a category which has many many things in there. From beans, fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, grains, herbs, spices....

-

Milk, milk product, or milk solids are not suitable for vegans. Chocolate is pretty much a no go unless you buy a dark chocolate which contains no milk and is sweetened with cane juice. It does exists, it is a little pricier, however usually a much better quality chocolate.

• 4 years ago

First i'm not a vegan or vegetarian. Dairy is like from cows and stuff so it's not really NATURAL. Even if there isn't any torture involved it's found from a meat animal. ( not like vegetables and stuff). eating fish is eating meat. Vegans don't eat meat. wool is from sheep and in the wild sheep don't get there wool taken do they? Again it's not really natural : )

• 1 decade ago

Vegans can eat pretty much anything that isn't an animal product, and doesn't contain an animal product. This includes fruits and vegetables, breads that don't contain milk or honey (they do exist), beans, hummus, soy products such as tofu or soy milk, and more things that I'm just missing. Also, I do believe there are some brands of chocolate that are vegan, but I'm not sure what they are.

Source(s): vegetarian, has looked up vegan foods before
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Well, anything that didn't come from an animal. So a very basic list would be:

Any Fruit

Any Vegetables

Any Herbs/Spices

Chips/Fries

Pulses (lentils, beans, peas)

Nuts and Seeds

Meat alternatives (Quorn, Tofu, Fake Meat)

Vegetarian Sausages/Burgers

Bread

Vegan Cake

Humous

Marmite

Margarine made from oils (such as olive oil, sunflower oil)

Jams, conserves

Soya Milk

Pasta

Noodles

Some chocolate which is very dark with no milk or a milk alternative (mainly cocoa)

Juices, fizzy drinks

Water

Wine, other alcoholic drinks in general

They have this dairy free ice cream called "Rice Cream"

Nowadays there are so many things which people can do to impersonate other foods, so fake chocolate, fake cheese, fake yoghurt, etc can basically all be made to taste very similar to their dairy alternative, almost to where you can't taste a difference).

As you can see, vegans live a very health lifestyle.

Source(s): Vegetarian for 16 years
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

First of all, it's DEFINITELY, not defiantly. Second, they can eat beans, nuts, chickpeas, lentils, legumes, any grain product (w/o milk or eggs, naturally), soy beverages, tofu, vegetables, fruits, pretty much anything without animal additives. Chocolate is not necessarily out, but if it's made with milk ingredients than no, they can't eat it.

• Paul
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Vegans eat pretty much everything apart from animal products. So no meat, fish, eggs, dairy or any products containing these or other animal by-products, or anything which uses animal by-products in the manufacturing.

• 3 years ago

all of them provide a different series of nutrients and that is why a variety of both highly recommended by nutritionists and dietitians.

• 1 decade ago

We eat tires! I personally like the steel belted radials they have more flavor and I like a good white wall for dessert. Seriously though I have a feeling you know what vegans eat and are just acting like we don't eat too troll around.

Source(s): vegan chocoholic who doesn't eat animal products in any form or fashion nor eats a lot of stuff made in labs or big factories.
  • 1 decade ago

a truly vegan diet is pretty much a 100% organic diet

animal products are in almost everything these days

lentils are a big part, tofu, salad

be sure to make up for the protein and iron that is usually in meats and calcium and vitamins etc in dairy.

that is usually the hard part, you will have alot of deficiency's

but yer, no dairy which means anything with milk, so chocolate, cake etc.

if it came from a animal, its a no no lol

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.