Juliet R asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

The best dog food for a senior dog?

My German Shorthaired pointer is almost 15 years old. I am wondering what the best, most nutritious dog food is for a senior dog.

Ok, maninthecorner, that was really a dumb answer and made little sense at all.

Favorite Answer

There are so many dog and cat foods on the market right now and most people are totally oblivious to healthy and unhealthy dog and cat food. I used to be, but after looking into dog and cat food and researching it I have completely changed my ways when it comes to dog and cat food. All of the food in Wal Mart and most foods from other stores such as Petsmart are unhealthy garbage. Why? Because they either carry:

“Artificial flavors, colors, and preservatives,” all of these can cause cancer and several other health problems. Cancer is the #1 killer of cats and dogs.

“By-products,” they are the junk in meat that are not approved for humans to eat. Road kill, cancerous, dead, and dying animals are allowed as well.

“Fillers,” are corn, wheat, and soy products that virtually don’t have any nutrition in them. They pass right through. Which also makes your dog have to eat more food to feel full.

Surely good dog and cat foods such as Science diet, Eukanuba, Iams, Pedigree, and Purina don’t have any of those and are great to feed my dogs and cats right? Wrong. These foods have most if not all of these terrible things.

Here are the first ten ingredients of three of the so called best foods, which make up most of what your dogs and cats eat and are the most important. The capitol words are the main things that are wrong in the ingredient lists.

Purina adult complete nutrition- WHOLE GRAIN CORN, POULTY BY-PRODUCT MEAL, ANIMAL FAT preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), CORN GLUTEN MEAL, MEAT AND BONE MEAL, brewers rice, soybean meal, barley, whole grain wheat, animal digest… (There is nothing good in that list at all)

Eukanuba-Chicken, CHICKEN BY-PRODUCTS MEAL, CORN MEAL, GROUND WHOLE GRAIN SORGUM, Ground Whole Grain Barley, Fish Meal (source of fish oil), Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Brewers Rice, Natural Chicken Flavor, Dried Beet Pulp (sugar removed)… (Most of what you see are either fillers or by-products)

Science Diet- GROUND WHOLE GRAIN CORN, CHICKEN BY-PRODUCT MEAL, Soybean Meal, ANIMAL FAT (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Soybean Oil, Chicken Liver Flavor, Flaxseed, Iodized Salt, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, … (first ingredient is a filler followed by by-products and more fillers)

Here is a list of both cat and dog well known foods and treats to stay away from-Fancy Feast, Alpo, Friskies,Mighty Dog, Dog Chow, Cat Chow, Puppy Chow, Kitten Chow, Beneful, Purina One, Purina ProPlan, DeliCat, HiPro, Kit’n’Kaboodle, Tender Vittles, Purina Veterinary Diets, MeowMix, Gravy Train, Kibbles ’n Bits, Wagwells, 9Lives, Cycle, Skippy, Nature’s Recipe, Milk Bone, Pup-Peroni, Snausages, Pounce, Pedigree, Waltham’s, Cesar, Sheba, Temptations, Goodlife Recipe, Sensible Choice, Excel, Hills Prescription Diets, Nature’s Best, Diamond, Ol’Roy, Iams, Nutro, Royal Canin.

Here are some foods that I recommend- Innova, California Natural, Evo, Blue Buffalo, Taste of the wild, Wellness, Merrick Before grains, Chicken soup for the cat lovers soul, Health Wise, Karma, Orijen. Plus there are many more great foods not listed. You have to look at the ingredients list of any food that you feed your dog. If it have any of the things listed as bad then immediately put it down.

To show what a good healthy dog food looks like, here is the ingredient list of Taste of the Wild High Prairie- Bison, venison, lamb meal, chicken meal, egg product, sweet potatoes, peas, potatoes, canola oil, roasted bison, roasted venison, natural flavor, tomato pomace, ocean fish meal, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Saccharomyces cerevesiae fermentation solubles, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Source(s): I have two dogs and two cats a 9 year old Pomeranian named Jake, a 7 year old long haired miniature Dachshund named Lady, and a 1 year old Maine Coon mix calico cat named Bella and a 10 week old rescued tabby kitten named Keevay. I used to feed them Purina and Purina cat chow but after gaining knowledge on the subject I switched to Blue Buffalo life protection formula and Blue buffalo spa selects. The change that I saw in my two dogs and cat was dramatic. Lady my Dachshund used to have bad skin allergies, sick days, bad coat, heavy shedding, and would want to eat a lot. After switching she has no more allergies, no more sick days, has a great coat, barely sheds, and she eats dramatically less. My Pom Jake used to have a dull coat, sick days, and runny stool. After switching he has a great coat, no sick days, and firm stool for the first time in his life. Bella used to have a dull coat, eat a ton, and would shed huge amounts. After switching her food her coat is beautiful and soft, she has reduced the amount she eats, and her shedding has greatly reduced. Keevay was fed a high quality since we have gotten her so there wasn’t a change. I am about to try Taste of the Wild it is rated 6/6 and looks awesome. I am going to get it off of doggiefood.com because you can get a 30lb bag for $38.50 shipping included for dogs and a 15lb bag for $22.99 for cats If you get it at a feed store it runs around $45.00 for dogs and $29.99 for cats. It is even cheaper than buying food like Purina because since it doesn't have fillers dogs eat less of it and it lasts longer. Plus less money goes out for the vet bill. I know that other people see other results in how much less their dogs eat. But I used to buy separate bags of food for each dog. Jake used to get an 18lb bag of Purina Small Bites for $20.00-$25.00 and Lady used to get a 18lb bag of Purina lamb and Rice for $25.00. It took them around two months to eat all of their food. I bought a 30lb bag of Blue Buffalo life protection formula at Petsmart for $42.00 for both dogs to share. It has been 6 months and they still have about a quarter left. That is how much less they eat.

My vet does not recommend using a senior food. Instead, he recommends a good quality food (use info from Pack Leader), but to feed less since the dog is less active. He also recommends a glucosamine supplement for joint health. Your vet can help you with any needed supplements.

My dogs (almost 3-years-old and 14-years-old) eat Blue Buffalo Organic Chicken and Brown Rice.

Wellness Just for Seniors

I put my 14 yr old Lab mix on Innova Senior Plus, and I saw a huge improvement in how she felt and looked.

She was on a good food before, but I was really impressed with the Innova.

Source(s): lots o dogs

7+ years of age

Wellness CORE is great. I feed it to my senior dog. I don't do senior dog food because the protein content is much lower, I just feed regular food with a weekly joint supplement,

I used Pedigree and it actually was not the best in quality and nutrition. The best is Iams. Iams has nutrition and they love it! It tends to be one of the most expensive brands, but it's because it takes more money to make that brand. Their food includes food for all different ages [like seniors] and all different types of dogs [chihuahua, yorkie, german sheperd, etc.]. It's really the best and they come in BIG and little packs!!

+ Chloe - doggy owner!

any senior diet that is made for senior animals. I like science diet and royal canin myself. when you get into purina and and pedigree, there are more fillers, whereas if you put your pet on a diet specified for a senior, it has more supplements in it that will help supplement the older pet.

Science Diet. A little bit more expensive, but totally worth it. Get the senior formula.

Pedigree