Do I have to pay taxes on something I buy from an online seller located in my state?

I want to buy something online, but do I have to pay taxes on something I buy from someone in my own USA state? Do I have to pay taxes on an online purchase from an online seller in another state? Thanks.

• Judy
    Favorite Answer

If it's a taxable item you buy from someone within your state, yes. If they are outside your state, you only pay sales tax to them if they have some kind of facility in your state.

If the online seller is not "in the business" of selling such things, and it is a "causal sale", then many states exempt that transaction from sales taxes. However, your state might also have a "use" tax, regardless of where you obtained the property or service, and you may have to pay taxes to your state of residence, unless you, the transaction, or the property are exempt.

It doesn't matter where you bought something, for purpose of "use" tax, and even things you buy from overseas by mail order can be subject to your local "use" tax. Tax evasion is a serious offense, so you would be wise to determine for yourself whether or not your state of residence expects you to pay the tax.