Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

any suggestions for dogs allergies?

my dog have been scratching her nose with her fleece, and the floor. I think is allergies.

Favorite Answer

It could be enviromental allergies or food allergies. More dogs have allergies to food than the enviroment. My dog had bad food allergies once I switched her food the problem was gone. Here is some dog food info.

There are so many dog and cat foods on the market right now and most people are totally oblivious to healthy and unhealthy dog and cat food. I used to be, but after looking into dog and cat food and researching it I have completely changed my ways when it comes to dog and cat food. All of the food in Wal Mart and most foods from other stores such as Petsmart are unhealthy garbage. Why? Because they either carry:

“Artificial flavors, colors, and preservatives,” all of these can cause cancer and several other health problems. Cancer is the #1 killer of cats and dogs.

“By-products,” they are the junk in meat that are not approved for humans to eat. Road kill, cancerous, dead, and dying animals are allowed as well.

“Fillers,” are corn, wheat, and soy products that virtually don’t have any nutrition in them. They pass right through. Which also makes your dog have to eat more food to feel full.

Surely good dog and cat foods such as Science diet, Eukanuba, Iams, Pedigree, and Purina don’t have any of those and are great to feed my dogs and cats right? Wrong. These foods have most if not all of these terrible things.

Here are the first ten ingredients of three of the so called best foods, which make up most of what your dogs and cats eat and are the most important. The capitol words are the main things that are wrong in the ingredient lists.

Purina adult complete nutrition- WHOLE GRAIN CORN, POULTY BY-PRODUCT MEAL, ANIMAL FAT preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), CORN GLUTEN MEAL, MEAT AND BONE MEAL, brewers rice, soybean meal, barley, whole grain wheat, animal digest… (There is nothing good in that list at all)

Eukanuba-Chicken, CHICKEN BY-PRODUCTS MEAL, CORN MEAL, GROUND WHOLE GRAIN SORGUM, Ground Whole Grain Barley, Fish Meal (source of fish oil), Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Brewers Rice, Natural Chicken Flavor, Dried Beet Pulp (sugar removed)… (Most of what you see are either fillers or by-products)

Science Diet- GROUND WHOLE GRAIN CORN, CHICKEN BY-PRODUCT MEAL, Soybean Meal, ANIMAL FAT (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Soybean Oil, Chicken Liver Flavor, Flaxseed, Iodized Salt, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, … (first ingredient is a filler followed by by-products and more fillers)

Here is a list of both cat and dog well known foods and treats to stay away from-Fancy Feast, Alpo, Friskies,Mighty Dog, Dog Chow, Cat Chow, Puppy Chow, Kitten Chow, Beneful, Purina One, Purina ProPlan, DeliCat, HiPro, Kit’n’Kaboodle, Tender Vittles, Purina Veterinary Diets, MeowMix, Gravy Train, Kibbles ’n Bits, Wagwells, 9Lives, Cycle, Skippy, Nature’s Recipe, Milk Bone, Pup-Peroni, Snausages, Pounce, Pedigree, Waltham’s, Cesar, Sheba, Temptations, Goodlife Recipe, Sensible Choice, Excel, Hills Prescription Diets, Nature’s Best, Diamond, Ol’Roy, Iams, Nutro, Royal Canin.

Here are some foods that I recommend- Innova, California Natural, Evo, Blue Buffalo, Taste of the wild, Wellness, Merrick Before grains, Chicken soup for the cat lovers soul, Health Wise, Karma, Orijen. Plus there are many more great foods not listed. You have to look at the ingredients list of any food that you feed your dog. If it have any of the things listed as bad then immediately put it down.

To show what a good healthy dog food looks like, here is the ingredient list of Taste of the Wild High Prairie- Bison, venison, lamb meal, chicken meal, egg product, sweet potatoes, peas, potatoes, canola oil, roasted bison, roasted venison, natural flavor, tomato pomace, ocean fish meal, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Saccharomyces cerevesiae fermentation solubles, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Source(s): I have two dogs and one cat a 9 year old Pomeranian named Jake, a 7 year old long haired miniature Dachshund named Lady, and a 1 year old domestic medium hair calico cat named Bella. I used to feed them Purina and Purina cat chow but after gaining knowledge on the subject I switched to Blue Buffalo life protection formula and Blue buffalo spa selects. The change that I saw in my two dogs and cat was dramatic. Lady my Dachshund used to have bad skin allergies, sick days, bad coat, heavy shedding, and would want to eat a lot. After switching she has no more allergies, no more sick days, has a great coat, barely sheds, and she eats dramatically less. My Pom Jake used to have a dull coat, sick days, and runny stool. After switching he has a great coat, no sick days, and firm stool for the first time in his life. Bella used to have a dull coat, eat a ton, and would shed huge amounts. After switching her food her coat is beautiful and soft, she has reduced the amount she eats, and her shedding has greatly reduced. I am about to try Taste of the Wild it is rated 6/6 and looks awesome. I am going to get it off of doggiefood.com because you can get a 30lb bag for $38.50 shipping included for dogs and a 15lb bag for $22.99 for cats If you get it at a feed store it runs around $45.00 for dogs and $29.99 for cats. It is even cheaper than buying food like Purina because since it doesn't have fillers dogs eat less of it and it lasts longer. Plus less money goes out for the vet bill. I know that other people see other results in how much less their dogs eat. But I used to buy separate bags of food for each dog. Jake used to get an 18lb bag of Purina Small Bites for $20.00-$25.00 and Lady used to get a 18lb bag of Purina lamb and Rice for $25.00. It took them around two months to eat all of their food. I bought a 30lb bag of Blue Buffalo life protection formula at Petsmart for $42.00 for both dogs to share. It has been 6 months and they still have about a quarter left. That is how much less they eat.

I would suggest switching your dog to a grain free holistic form of dog food...or if you are willing to dish out even more money...the BEST option would be to put him onto a raw dog food diet, after lots of research and talking to raw feeders for advice of course. I had the same problem with my Basset Hound, he was getting hot spots, was constantly licking his paws and armpit area and had red, swollen areas where he was missing hair because he was licking so much. I first switched him onto EVO, and while it worked for us, I still wasn't getting the ultimate results I felt I should be getting from a dog food that cost that much. So I have just switched him to Wysong Optimal Performance (about 4 months ago or so) and have seen amazing results! It has dehydrated chicken pieces in it and his hot spots are almost completely gone and he no more has any allergies associated to food. It is a bit expensive, for a case (it comes with four 8 lbs bags) it runs around $80.00 Canadian with taxes. So it's not cheap, however in the long run you don't have to feed as much of this food as you would a dog food filled with lots of corn filler and by products as it is more nutritional and a dog can sustain on a smaller amount of it. I also feed my dog different types of wet holistic dog food as well. I like Mulligan Stew, Natural Instinct, Nature's Variety, California Natural etc. These dog foods are gluten free and have a high protein content.

Id get her checked by a vet

could be allergies but at this time of year many grasses have seeds that embed in the dogs ears, nose etc...

that can cause irritation and infection

A nose itch doesnt alway mean allergies.

My dog had one pretty deep in his ear - i kept cleaning but couldnt see the problem - the vet pulled it out, gave him a good deep cleaning and he is better

better to be safe than sorry!

It is possible your dog has allergies. My dog has allergies and an acute asthma. My doctor prescribed Benedryl for him to help with the allergies. I would suggest talking to the vet to make sure it is allergies and to rule out everything else. If it is he will tell you the proper dosage needed for your dog.

first give the dog a bath if it is an allergy this may help if so then you may have to give a bath more often

benadryl can help but call the vet first to get a dose

and change the food if need be but be prepared for unusual digestive effects (gas e.t.c)

Source(s): have had several dogs with allergies
  • Acacia

It would be best to get her checked by the vet, then you will know if it is allergies or not. But, a little Benedryl will not hurt her. Just don't overdose her.

our dog has allergies. the vet will tell you to give her benadryl. but don't buy it from the vet. we did and found the same thing at the store for half the price. it will make her tired tho.

Source(s): mydog

I recently put Frontline Plus on my dog because she kept scarting but it didnt help. Her food contains chicken in it. She might be allergic to her food cause i think my dog is

Give 'em a Kleenex.

it might possible but there are also some other reasons

http://www.healthyanimals08.blogspot.com/ check out here