Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 1 decade ago

Why is there more female vegetarians then males?

I have noticed that more vegetarians are women and i was curious why.

Well i dont eat meat to get muscle, i eat it because its nice to eat.

One other thing to add, how are any of those things instincts, a man could do either of those things (excluding birth) and saying women are more intelligent is total bull, im sorry to mention but look at the history, most of the things ever discovered or invented have been by men, enough said sorry

Sorry but how does being a vegetarian make you clever? I guess Einstien must of been a total idiot because he ate meat.

Best Answer

"I have noticed that more vegetarians are women and i was curious why."

I think it's because females tend to be more compassionate and health conscious, while lots of males have that "macho" mentality.

"saying women are more intelligent is total bull, im sorry to mention but look at the history, most of the things ever discovered or invented have been by men, enough said sorry"

This is largely due to the fact that until recently, women were not allowed to be scientists or inventors. That says more about how our society has historically been sexist than how intelligent men and women are. Men and women tend to have about equal intelligence.

"Sorry but how does being a vegetarian make you clever? I guess Einstien must of been a total idiot because he ate meat."

You probably should have researched Einstein before saying that. He was a vegetarian. You should have used somebody else like Curie or Newton as an example. By the way, I don't believe that becoming a vegetarian will "make you clever".

Edit:

I don't get why people keep bringing up the "hunting" aspect. Most men don't hunt, they go to the store and buy pre-packaged meat.

I don't know, to be honest I have never really thought about it, perhaps it is something to do with the way men think. For example if you look to the past a good hunter in a tribe was celebrated it was a sign of masculinity to be able to hunt a good meal. So perhaps there is some link to that idea of masculinity when it comes to eating meat... Or perhaps it is that a lot of men are far less compassionate than women, like most women have a natural caring instinct and when they see young animals the emotional side could make them prefer a Vegetarian or Vegan life style.

By the way, what you said about men being clever because they invented most things in history... Well you got to be pretty stupid if you truly believe that proves anything! Throughout history women have not had nearly as many opportunities as men, only very few women got any education, and even then it was extremely basic. How can a flower be expected to bloom when left in the dark?

Source(s): Vegan Me
  • lo_mcg

I think that's true of younger vegetarians - most are female. It's possible that some young men are afraid of being teased - some trolls on this forum are fond of suggesting that male veg*ns are gay.

By the time you get to my age though - 50s - it's evened out and it's about 50/50 in my experience. Probably because by that age you don't give a flying one what other people - especially ignorant and bigoted people - think of you.

Almost all the vegans I've met have been male though

I guess it's more socially acceptable for women because meat eating is supposed to be "manly."

Personally, I have never noticed there being a larger number of female vegetarians. The vegetarians I know are pretty much an equal proportion of men and women.

However, my wife is from India and her family is mostly vegetarian. Both of her brothers went back and forth with vegetarianism and meat eating when they were young, but she and her sister both stayed vegetarian. One of my brothers-in-law said he was told he couldn't be a pilot if he didn't eat meat.

For the record, Einstein may have been vegetarian.

Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet. ~Albert Einstein

http://www.quotegarden.com/vegetarianism.html

Source(s): Vegetarian since 1984

It is cultural conditioning in Western society. Men were always hunters and 'bringing home the bacon' is seen as being essential to manhood.

Women were traditionally gatherers in hunter-gatherer societies.

More nutrition for the tribe was provided (and provided on a consistent basis) by the gatherers, although more was made of the hunters. Big celebrations centered around meat because it was rarely had as regularly as the gathered foods.

However, there are religions where meat is forbidden (look at some Indian cultures for example) and societies where vegetarianism is the norm for male and female.

Some men may be more hard-wired to be in a 'hunting' mode and it may be natural to think of meat as just meat and not a fuzzy creature with a pulse - I am not a vegetarian BTW.

Maybe their natural sensitivity scale is different than women in regards to animals. I know way more men who hunt than women. I couldn't do it, but I sure enjoy that venison that comes back home!

Ignore that chick who said it's because we are smarter, it's not. We are just wired differently.

I think it's because women, being the social minority, know what it feels like to be treated like our interests don't matter. So we can relate to the animals being treated like their interests don't matter.

By the way, Einstein was a vegetarian.

I don't know. I think more women have no problem saying they're vegetarian, whereas some guys might be vegetarian but not say it in case they come across as gay (see this question http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Am...

But the staff in my favourite restaurant are all veg*ns and there are more guys working there than girls.

Society says that to be a REAL man, you have to eat lots of steaks, chops and greasy burgers.

For reals.

Chef Roach's answer is right.

Source(s): I'm an anthropology student.
  • sarah

I think women tend to feel more compassionate towards animals. And for some reason, some people think that you have to eat meat to be "manly".