What does "legislative sausage making" mean?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

It has nothing to do with pork, per se. It's a reference to the making of sausage being a messy, ugly process to see in action

• prent
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Sausage Making Process

• 6 years ago

It was not Bismark, but John Godfrey Saxe

from the source referenced below:

"Laws, like sausages, cease to inspire respect in proportion as we know how they are made.

As quoted in University Chronicle. University of Michigan (27 March 1869) books.google.de, Daily Cleveland Herald (29 March 1869), McKean Miner (22 April 1869), and "Quote... Misquote" by Fred R. Shapiro in The New York Times (21 July 2008); similar remarks have long been attributed to Otto von Bismarck, but this is the earliest known quote regarding laws and sausages, and according to Shapiro's research, such remarks only began to be attributed to Bismarck in the 1930s

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It's a derivative of an old saying from Bismarck, ca.1869: "Those who love sausage or legislation should NEVER watch either being made."

It has to do with compromises, components, and recipes.

That's Otto von Bismarck, by the way, first Chancellor of a unified Germany, speaking in Europe, not Harry Bismarck, who knew nothing about sausage or legislation.

Despite coming from an ultra-right winger, the saying itself has no political identity. And "pork" and other American hog washes are only indirectly relevant.

Source(s): Reality, where the illiterate and the reactionary can't even think of going.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

While many people enjoy eating sausage, they might not if they saw it being made. They might very well be grossed out. The same concept applies to the legislative process. It can be very ugly. If you saw all the behind the scenes deal making and shenanigans, you'd be disgusted with the legislative process.

Pork is part of the behind the scenes deal making, but not at the root of the expression.

• 1 decade ago

The people linking this to "pork barrel spending" (or just "pork" for short) are wrong.

I can't confirm the specific attribution, but the quote about it being a turn off to watch sausages or legislation being made is what's being referred to here.

Sausages, hot dogs, and things like that, are made by taking the waste parts of the animals, tossing them in, grinding them up, with whatever happens to fall in with the meat. Mega gross.

Legislation is made by sticking lots of irrelevant amendments on the law, and by politicians leaning on others, making deals with each other ("I'll fight your yada bill next month unless you..." "The party won't put much funding into your next election unless you..."). Also an ugly process.

The more of that gunk that goes on for a given bill, the more it resembles grinding up lots of gross stuff together.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Refer to pork i.e. putting in useless by product into legislation that needs to pass so these are added to make congress and senators look like heroes to their constituents also to line their own pockets as usually the pork will be going to somebody paying off the elected official see Rod Blago indicted Gov. of illinois

• 1 decade ago

The legislature playing with their own sausages? I think they're good at this.

Usually I post intellectualisms but in this instance I truly could not help myself....lolol.

Actually it has to do with PORK where government spending for localized projects secured solely or primarily to bring money to special interest groups and not the good of the whole.

• 1 decade ago

It means the creeps in congress are in dark smoke filled back rooms figuring out ways to hide their useless pork spending into congressional bills so the American tax payer doesn't know they just took it in the A $ $ again.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

it probably refers to an old quote about liking to eat sausage, but not wanting to know how it's made

in other words

we probably wouldn't like what we saw in the process of bills becoming laws.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.