Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesGenealogy · 1 decade ago

confused with first name,last name and middle name?

my name is 'priyanka',surname is 'mallepally',and reddy is the caste which i belong to...my name in complete look as "mallepally priyanka reddy" but iam confused which is first name,last name,and middle name

Favorite Answer

ur surname is mallepally. so if u r moving out of the counry to a western one, then get used to being called by that name. you would be referred to as Mallepally P.R....... or P.R.Mallepally.

Reddy is not your middle name.

You can include it in your first name as Priyanka Reddy. Or just drop it when filling forms, unless it appears on your passport and/or other official documents.

Now, had your name been Priyanka Devi Mallepally then Devi would be your middle name, but certainly not your caste name.

Hope everything is clear now :-)

• Erika

First Middle Last Name

• Lynne

Your last name is a name that is common to your family (at least in Europe, where I'm from). Does your father also go by Ram? Then I'd use Ram as your last name. I'm not too familiar with Indian naming conventions, but I know many Asian countries have the custom of placing a family name first, so my apologies if I'm wrong in my assumption. Not everyone has middle names (I don't, for example), but I'd use J.R as your middle name. Therefore, I'd suggest this: First name: Pragadish Middle name: J.R Last name: Ram

I think you come from a non English speaking culture and the naming system is probably different. We don't have caste names at all.

We have given names and what is usually called last names, surnames or family names.

Usually the first and middle name are given names. Those are names the parents like and bestow on their children. What we call surnames, some call last names and some family names are the names passed down usually from the father. However in some eastern cultures it is the first name followed by the given names.

your issue is trying to apply your culture name patterns with American (western) name patterns. In the US, we have a first and middle name.. and the surname. Surnames normally come from the father. Middle names are an option.. for instance John Smith is a common name, and with a distinct middle name John Perkins Smith is a way to define between two of the same name. It is not limited to those with a common name.. but a middle name also is used with the baby, for a baptism name.

You mention caste.. which is strictly for India. In India (or other places where caste exists)..then perhaps it is used with the personal name. Thus I cannot answer how to fit caste into your name.. and for you.. it might be that you don't HAVE what we know here as a "middle" name.

The whole thing is that what you know as custom or I know as custom, is not always going to translate into different cultures or countries.

When writing in official documents

Your first name is PRIYANKA and last name i.e the surname is MALLEPALLY.

You should leave the middle name place blank. Not every one has a middle name .Your caste REDDY is not applicable in “name section” unless its mentioned in any of your official ID. Generally documents that ask for first middle and last name in order are to be accompanied by some authenticated id proofs like voters id, driving licence, school certificate etc. You should always fill in the name as given in these id proofs. Unofficially you can write your name in whichever way you want or PRIYANKA REDDY MALLEPALLY is the right way to put it.

Source(s): my own knowledge

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avvSc

Name is only for others to recognise you. It does not matter what is first name, last name and last name. Normally in north India First and middle name are individuals name and last name is family name like Gandhi, Saxena, Mishra etc. Many people do not have middle name. In south india last name or family name (Combination of fathers name and name of place) is witten first followed by individuals name. For example M. Karunanidhi's Son is M. K. Stalin. if however your are particular to have name with all three, You may be know as J.R. RAM PRAGADISH.

From what your saying you should write your name as:

Priyanka Reddy Mallepally

First Middle Last

This is really interesting as it is different from what I am familiar with, and it will be fun to see what other answers you get and what people share with you. It's a variant of what I know, which is as follows:

In Christian UK/US/European culture, using the first name, middle name, last name convention, Reddy would be your father's surname, Mallepally would be your first or the name you are usually known by and your middle name would be Priyanka which could be a name your parents happened to like, or a family name or something like that - this is based purely on the order in which you have written your names.

Many cultures have a tradition of naming a child to honour a friend or family member.

For example, I could have named a daughter "Anna" after my best friend. First sons are often named after their father and in the US because you end up with father and son with the same name, they get called something like George Bush II.

Jewish people don't name a baby after someone who is still alive and often name a newborn after someone who has just passed away, or a deceased close family member.

Arab cultures use family names followed by Al and the father's name, Al meaning son of. Daughter of would be Bint and the family name.

To get the whole family picture it would be Al somebody Al somebody Al somebody. That would give father, grandfather and great grandfather.

In these modern times, in UK/US/Europe if the child's mother is not married to the father and the father is not divorced from his wife, the child legally takes the mothers surname. (Surname is last name, i.e. family name)

In Africa, the last names often reflect the clan or ethnic group and people are usually called by their first name.

Source(s): Living in many different countries
    • kurdi_25 years agoReport

Correction for the Arabic: Bin means son of, not Al. Al means the or of . A different Al (phonetically AAL) can also mean of the house of. Eg: Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum.. means Mohammed son of Rashid of the house Maktoum. AL=the; Eg. Bakir the Baghdadi = Bakir Al Baghdadi = Bakir Baghdadi.

don't get confused!! its as simple:

First name refers to the given name or the name that occurs first in a given name i.e.for u mallepally.

Middle name is the name that occurs between a person's first name and surname.

Surname is a name added to a given name and is part of a personal name. In many cases a surname is a family name.It is also known as a "last name".

Source(s): zaroo
    • joseph5 years agoReport

After reading the comments I m really confused......I crack my brain to get the real way of writing it.....too much explanation makes things confused