Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

What is the appeal of being liberal?

Favorite Answer

If you do not have skin cancer, and have ever stood outside without having a peeling sunburn within moments, thank the ozone layer, thank the ban on CFCs, and thank a liberal.

If you have not died in a heat wave, drought, hurricane, flood, wildfire, or other climate change disaster, and like the idea of your children and grandchildren not living in desert wastelands, thank a liberal.

If you have ever breathed clean air or drank clean water, thank a liberal.

If no woman you know has died or been maimed in a back-alley Abortion, thank a liberal.

If you have never been lynched, or had your children firebombed in a church, thank a liberal.

If you are glad we don't live in a right-wing dictatorship along the lines of what conservatives overtly and covertly created in Iran, Guatamala, Nicaragua, the Dominican Republic, the Congo, Chile, Brazil, El Salvador, the Phillipines, Indonesia and many others, thank a liberal.

If you have ever used Medicare, thank a liberal.

If you have not gotten cancer from radiation, thank the Nuclear test ban and thank a liberal.

If you have ever sat on a public seat, drank from a drinking fountain, stood on a bus, or done anything in public without worrying about being beaten up for being in the wrong section for your skin color, thank a liberal.

If you've ever driven on an interstate highway, thank a liberal.

If you grew up in a family of less than 12 kids, like the idea of being able to choose if you have 12 kids or not, if you don't live in an overpopulated third world slum, or just think birth control is a good idea, thank a liberal.

If your family benefited from the GI Bill of Rights, FHA Mortgages, and so forth, thank a liberal.

If you have ever bought anything from Europe, and are glad the Marshall plan kept it from remained a bombed-out shell or falling to communism or neo-fascism, thank a liberal.

If you are glad that the Nazis don't control half the world (conservatives opposed joining World War 2 until it was forced on them) thank a liberal.

If you have ever eaten food (agricultural subsidies), flicked on a light switch (rural electrification) or benefited from the Tennessee Valley Authority, thank a liberal.

If you ever drank a beer or a glass of wine without being thrown in jail, thank a liberal.

If you are not a land-owning white male, but have voted, thank a liberal.

If you have not died from tainted meat, been prescribed something useless or poisonous by a quack doctor, have not given your children cough syrup which turned out to have heroin as its secret ingredient, thank a liberal. (and Nixon)

If your workplace is safe and you are paid a living wage, including overtime; if you enjoy a 40-hour week and you are allowed to join a union to protect your rights without being lynched, thank a liberal.

If you've ever seen a national park, and it hadn't been strip mined and clearcut into a desert wasteland, thank a liberal.

If you have never suffered from an economy of massive deflation, and have never even heard of an economic phenomenon called a "panic", thank a liberal.

If your children go to school instead of working in coal mines, thank a liberal.

If you're a Native American and have not been killed or died in a concentration camp, or if you live near Native Americans and are not at war with them, thank a liberal.

If you have an industrial or high-tech job - or really, any job other than those available in a slave-powered cash crop economy (ie, a third world economy) thank a liberal.

If you're not a slave or "indentured servant" (white slave), don't think protection of slavery belongs in the constitution, if you've never been chained to a boat where half the passengers die, been whipped, had your family split up, been forced to "breed" with another slave you've never met, been raped by your boss, or killed for not being profitable, thank a liberal.

If you oppose political parties starting massive wars to destroy America, just because they lost the election, and killing hundreds of thousands of Americans in process - if you just don't have that much fanatical hatred of Lincoln's policy of to restricting slavery to states where it already existed, thank a liberal.

If you're part-Irish, Catholic, Jewish, or for that matter anything not Anglo-Saxon Protestant, and are allowed to live in America, and are not harassed and attacked for failing to be born Anglo-Saxon Protestant, or if you've ever bought or used anything built by a non-ASP American, thank a liberal.

If you kind of like freedom of speech, and don't want the state government to be able to censor you - (you think the 14th amendment is a good idea) - thank a liberal.

If you have ever bought or sold anything transported by the transcontinental railroad, or eaten food from a farm created by the railroad, thank a liberal.

If you think the US constitution is pretty cool, and have ever traveled too or done business with a country whose democracy was inspired by the American revolution, thank a liberal.

If you have not been drafted and used as cannon-fodder in some war caused by some petty insult between nobles, clan leaders, or other various overfed dictators, or suffered rape or looting in one of those countless wars, thank a liberal.

If you have not been tortured to death in a religious inquisition, thank a liberal.

If you don't have to walk though ankle-deep sewage in the streets (because sewers are big gummint), thank a liberal.

If you have ever done anything that is a religious or superstitious taboo (ie, done anything at all) without being stoned to death or cast out as a heretic, thank a liberal.

If you have never been raped, and then had the rapist escape punishment on the grounds that he marry you, thank a liberal.

If you are not a slave toiling to build a pyramid for some lazy dictator who's so spoiled he thinks he's god, and won't even see it until he's dead, thank a liberal.

If you have not been killed as a human sacrifice in the name of some god, thank a liberal.

In short, if you've ever enjoyed anything of the post-stone-age world, thank a liberal.

...And if not, become a conservative.

"Liberal policies made America the freest, wealthiest, most successful and most powerful nation in human history. Conservatism in power always threatens to undo that national progress, and is almost always frustrated by the innate decency and democratic instincts of the American people..." - Joe Conason

Most people are a mixture of characteristics, as am I. There are things about which I am pretty conservative (i.e., "not open to having this done"), such as horror movies, vulgarity, bad table manners, and guys coming to the dinner table without a shirt---I'm even a bit of a prude on this level. Conservative meant "left-brain" activities---sometimes boring, but often practical; sometimes uptight (even anal retentive), but also demure. There are times when my conservatism stems from shyness or insecurity and actually works against my inner yearnings. I am moderate (a pivotal position) in politics or advocacy work, with a balanced view between management and labor in my labor-advocate days after Reagan mistakenly fired PATCO, for example. Liberal has always had a good meaning for me...it has meant personal freedoms, art, poetry, dancing in the rain, playing in mud puddles fully clothed, wearing sneakers with a formal gown, playfulness, laughter, light-hearted approaches to life, taking time to smell the flowers or find beauty in small thiings, and yes, sharing and caring for others who may be lost or astray. We liberals tend to be operating from the "right" side of our brains, our more creative side science says (although musical talent is supposedly from the math side or left brain). The yin-yang by which I base much of my philosophies of life would favor an undulating balance between the two, centering to an equilibrium. LOL Does this tempt you at all to join us barefoot liberals frolicking in our wild-flower meadows and loving the world? We really are a fun bunch when you get to know us.

Liberalism means that the rules do not apply to you.You are immune,whether your a child molester,or a murdering Dui alcoholic.In that way of thinking,you had the right to be those things and there should be no consequences.The liberal Has the state(government) to control responsibility,and is willing to let them take responsibility for their actions.

This is only a few of many examples of the liberal(Neo-statist)

Source(s): to "music saved my soul' Andrew Jackson,the first democrat president,sent millions of Cherokee off of their land,even after they went to Wash.D.C. to protest under the American way,and then He sent them packing on the trail of tears,where many Indians died.Your way off on all your assumptions.Try facts next time.

Classical liberalism is not very different from traditional conservatism.

I am both of these.

The appeal, I am something that has died off in both major parties

Source(s): Independent American

it puts me on the opposite side of the aisle from men like Fred Phelps, Gary Naler, Mike Savage, David Duke, Tom Metzger, and Rush Limbaugh.

i figure that's a good place to be.

You don't start with a conclusion and then look around for evidence to support the conclusion. You observe the facts and then, using those facts, reach a conclusion.

I like ideals, but you can't run a household, a business, a family, a country, or anything else based on idealism. We don't exist in ideal world, so ideal world solutions don't usually work here. You run real world things based on cost-benefit analysis, efficacy assessment, and so on. Liberals are generally more pragmatic, less likely to revert to "dinosaur brain thinking" in the face of the uncertainty and amiguity that is part of living in the real world.

A man is the sum of his experiences and his experiences in life determine his philosophy. Liberal and conservative are not clubs you join in school...

• Power

Happiness. I am 50 so I had teachers who were hippies. We sang songs in school such as let their be peace on earth. This land is my land this land is your land from CA to the NY rockies, this land was made for you & me. I felt good about myself & about others. I loved people & they loved me. When I was 19 I bought a house & had it paid off at 22. So when reps. say libs are irresponsible they evidently don't know the libs I know. I know over 200 libs. who are the happiest, kindess, most compassioate, conscienous, intelligent, successful people I know. I see how Fox is always filled with hate. They straight talk about the terrible left wing so it amazes me when people compare fox with MSNBC. Keith will tell you facts. Another rep. was walking down the street today in the nude & arrested. It is something he will report on cause the reps. would report on it if that was a dem. but be much meaner. I am spiriutal meaning I don't believe in one particular religion but all of us have our own path & while I am not a Christian I do believe Jesus taught us to love our neighbor as thyself. This is what libs. do cause they know our neighbor is one with us. Life works the lib way. Conflict rules the rep. party. Fear & fighitng. It is dualistic while does nothing but goes in circles. The reps. have nothing good to show for but libs are doing so much here is one site but there are man on libs & none on dems:http://www.dkosopedia.com/wiki/Thank_a_liberal

Their hearts are in the right places, but they do not look into the long-term effects of the policies that they wish to enact.

Conservatives, on the other hand, take too long to realize that change must, and always will, occur. (Not Obama's "Change", but progress through scientific innovation)

• ?

What's wrong with being open-minded and open to new ideas? The conservatives are used to the way it always has been, closed minded and hate change. You pick one.

• robbie

Lack of responsibility and accountability.