Guys and Girls, Honest Opinions?

If someone is very attracted to you (perhaps an ex) and you are not into them anymore (don't like them anymore in that way), would you date them because you feel sorry for that person?

Have you ever done this? Isn't this bad?

From a guy's perspective: Would you guys still date the girl (if you knew she was emotionally unstable) because you feel sorry for her?

Do people actually date other people because they feel sorry for them? Curious because I didn't know some people actually do this -- seems like a waste of time.

Favorite Answer

I never wasted my time with that, but had a girlfriend that was guilty of it because her boyfriend would always threaten suicide if she would try to break things off. In the end it was just a "ploy" to keep her with him until he found someone else. I've never understood people like that, and prefer not to be around those personalities anymore. (They tend to bring everyone else down with them!)

I've had this dilemma before. I've been with a rebounder, though I found out this was a bad choice. The person that's in that state is not dating you for liking you. They usually are not used to being single or are unsure of what to do with themselves and end up making crazy decisions. So no I would not date this person, because I personally would date to be with someone for life not to play games with.

Source(s): experienced it.

people do do that but what type of a relationship is that where you feel sorry for someone and that's why you're with them... i personally think it's better not to prolong it.... no matter when things end it's always hard...why waste time and prolong it... just finish it and that way both parties can move on with their lives!!! one of my friends had an ex like that... and their relationship went on for 3 years and now they hate one another and go opposite ways if they see each other in the streets or in town!!!

all the best!

• Gaab.

I personally wouldn't do that. There was a thing with me and this...erm...man? I suppose.. He's 19, and at the time he thought I was too young for him and then I haven't seen him in a year. After I did, he was throwing himself under me at all time, ironically; the things I did a year ago. ;D Funny now, he said he wanted us to be together, but I wasn't stupid enough to let it all happen. :] Now, I'm happy with a boyfriend I am madly in love with, and even though I felt sorry for the guy in some way, I thought I was going to be seemed as a slut if I did go out with him. It might seem as if I was acting ice - cold and untouchable, but to be honest, he was able to get me and because he wants me now, doesn't mean I will actually go with him. :] xx

I've seen this happen before with friends and the end result is never good. You just end up hurting the person you felt sorry for even more. Just be honest with the person. They deserve it...just like you would want someone to be honest with you if you wanted to know how they felt about you.

That happened to me. I went into depression and wanted to kill myself. Yea its bad and no ive never done this. Its bad because when you date someone you wanna date them for who they are or what they look like or if you like them not just because you felt sorry and wanted to make him happy. I would never do that to any kind of girl cause no girl deserves to be lied to just to feel happy. When this happened this happened in my 7th grade year a few months later i got over it. He'll/she'll get over it in a couple months

• many of my friends have done it, and honestly i've thought of doing this but never did. i think so many people do it now that it's hard to tell whether your boyfriend/girlfriend is really into you. if i were you, i wouldn't date her because you feel sorry for her for several reasons. what if she found out? what happens when she says "i love you" or something along the lines of that and you have nothing to say to that? what if she becomes too demanding/hard to break up with that when the time comes to break up you can't?

all i can say is -- don't!

Source(s): best of luck! ♥

That's super messed up just to date your ex because you feel sorry for them. You don't date someone because you feel sorry for them, you date them cuz you like them legitimaley.

No, I would not date him off of pity. I would not date him period. I mean if you take him out on a date... he's going to think stuff. He's going to think he still has a chance with you although you don't like him like that and then you'll end up crushing his heart again. Don't make him think things and you';ll just be leading him omn. Don't lead him on that'll just be f off of u in your part. So my answer is no.

No. If I wasn't attracted to the person, then giving them hope is dishonest and dangerous for me because they could react badly if/when they find out. ESPECIALLY if the person is emotionally unstable... hello, bunny boiler.