Question about using baking soda for brushing teeth .?

I was talking to my girlfriend in her bathroom when i noticed an open bowl of baking soda on the counter. Apparently she brushes her teeth with it after she uses tooth paste just to help fight staining i guess. Anyway, I got to thinking about that. If people put Baking Soda in the refrigerator to absorb germs... show more I was talking to my girlfriend in her bathroom when i noticed an open bowl of baking soda on the counter. Apparently she brushes her teeth with it after she uses tooth paste just to help fight staining i guess.
Anyway, I got to thinking about that.
If people put Baking Soda in the refrigerator to absorb germs and odors, isn't the germs and odors after flushing the toilet getting absorbed into the baking soda after using the bathroom?
I hope i am wrong about this.
At best though, shouldn't she keep that baking soda covered up while not using it?