Why is Firefox considered a safer and more secure internet browser than Internet Explorer?

I'm not too tech-savy, so could someone please explain this to me in layperson terms? Why do so many people consider Firefox to be a better internet browser than Internet Explorer? I'm especially curious about the claims of Firefox being more secure. How is Firefox more safe and secure than IE? And does it... show more I'm not too tech-savy, so could someone please explain this to me in layperson terms?
Why do so many people consider Firefox to be a better internet browser than Internet Explorer? I'm especially curious about the claims of Firefox being more secure. How is Firefox more safe and secure than IE? And does it really matter about the security of the browser even if the computer has a whole antivirus software program (such as Norton 360 or Norton Internet Security)?
What is it about Firefox that makes it more secure?
Any other information about the two internet browsers would be helpful too.
Thanks!