is Oxycontin a synthetic heroin?

a close friend is in a lot of pain because of surgery. She is now taking lots of pain meds. Oxyicontin is becoming very addictive. I am concerned. I have heard that its a synthetic herion. I told her this, but she won't believe that her prescription drug is anything like a street drug! So my question is this, is oxyicontin a synthetic herion? Thanks

Favorite Answer

No OxyContin is not synthetic heroin. That expression is used sometimes but it is not only wrong but illogical.

Codeine and Morphine are both natural are the primary occurring opiates (narcotic pain killers) from raw opium (as is Thebaine, which is not used commercially). Most opiates are derived from Morphine or Codeine.

Heroin is technically called diacetylmorphine. From the name you see morphine. Heroin is a semi-synthetic drug that is effectively built on morphine. The difference between the two drugs (chemically) is very small.

OxyContin (Oxycodone) is also a semi-synthetic drug. Its name is derived from Codeine because Codeine and Thebaine are the 'base' of the chemical structure. And there are only small differences between Codeine and oxycodone.

So heroin is not natural and OxyContin is not synthetic. Synthetic opiates are drugs like Methadone and Demerol.

OxyContin is in the same class of drugs as heroin (opiates) and it is addictive- that is where the idea of synthetic heroin comes from. Really methadone is the closest thing to synthetic heroin.

A lot of people are abusing Oxycodone. But if your friend is taking the drug as prescribed for a real medical condition she should be fine. Many drugs are addictive but only a hand full of people become addicts and addictive drugs are important in many medical treatments.

Source(s): I am a medical student with a specialist degree (Hons. BSc) in Pharmacology with a focus on psychopharmacology. I have interned under two psychiatrists, one neurologist, and at a Chemical Dependency Rehabilitation Centre. In addition I have worked as a pharmacy assistant.

Synthetic Heroin

Oxycontin is an opiate, like heroin. However, oxycontin is not synthetic heroin. Heroin is semi-synthetic morphine, and oxycontin is actually synthetic thebaine. Both thebaine and morphine are derived from the plant papaver somniferum, or the poppy plant.

Oxycontin can be highly addictive much like heroin and since they are in the same class of drugs they have very similar effects.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

is Oxycontin a synthetic heroin?

a close friend is in a lot of pain because of surgery. She is now taking lots of pain meds. Oxyicontin is becoming very addictive. I am concerned. I have heard that its a synthetic herion. I told her this, but she won't believe that her prescription drug is anything like a street drug! So my...

Source(s): oxycontin synthetic heroin: https://biturl.im/Yjy9j

oxycontin is in the same class of drugs(opiates) and have similar effects except heroin is far more dangerous but both are addicting especially if shes using them quite a lot, I would advice her to slowly lower dosage every time.

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axAGw

It's a lesser form of heroin, but not exactly. They both belong in the family of opiate drugs

Hopefully not, since that's what would bankrupt America: paying for Rush Limbaugh's drug and food addiction.

Why would you want your friend to not have relief from pain?

its bad stuff