What is the difference between banter and bile?

@Baggy - Oh come on, surely there is some wit to banter isn't there? :o)

Best Answer

In normal everyday life it's having a laugh and knowing when not to cross the line into bile. On YA the word banter is used in advance of saying any old cr*p.

a lot of times I'd get into a chatroom where one person would call what was being said a "fight" while others called it an "argument" but more of a legal argument (both sides making points). Banter to me is an in-person friendly thing. Fighting comes with anger and maybe even hurt of some kind (like libel), and, arguing in a home could be like screaming, but the other kind of arguing is the one I enjoy doing and that's both sides bringing out points to be considered as in a school debate. Yes, in a way, the place one lives (on or off the net) has an impact on how the different ways of discussing and chatting are perceived.

There is a very fine line between the two. Not many people on here can distinguish between bile and banter - and some people are just do not have a sense of humour. It's hard to tell on here though if it meant to be taken in jest or not sometimes though.

Banter is what most fans do about their teams chances. Bile is what Man Utd and Liverpool fans spew against each other and any teams that threaten their teams hopes of being champions.

Banter is what your writing and bile is what we are feeling about what you wrote. sides its a chemical thing thats gaging the reader as you wrote your banter item.

cheers

bile bile

thats banter.

• Banter I would class as playful talk or someone mocking someone else.

Bile I would class as someone talking a load of rubbish because he/she is in a bad mood or irritable.

It's in the eye of the beholder - I agree banter is clearly intended to be witty/humorous but I think it's also possible to be soooo outrageously bilious about someone you truly dislike it can be very funny. For some reason I find myself thinking about 'Sir' Alex ...and Gordon Brown.

Banter is a friendly wind up. Bile is pure vitriol.

• Nick

Currently the section is being flooded with BILE.

Rarely the section gets a hint of BANTER.

bile is the stuff that builds up constantly in the back of my throat from smoking cigarettes and doing too many chemical drugs when i was in high school (and when i finished high school, ok i never stopped doing them. i've done them in the last month....now im bantering......)