What happens when people who insist the earth is 6000 years old are shown a 9000+ year old tree?

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/04/08...

From an answer posted a few minutes ago:

"The worlds oldest tree is not 6000 years old yet. This begs the question, did trees not exist a million years ago, or is something wrong with the current date of the earth."

Bonus question: Do some people not realize trees die?

Best Answer

Lightning! I think...lightning kills trees...sometimes.

Source(s): what occurred to me just now

The world's oldest recorded tree is a 9550 year old spruce in the Dalarna province of Sweden. Way cool, I hope they do all they can to keep it alive. I'd love to see it. (love trees, uh oh, am I a Druid?)

Creationists: Well some answers have already covered what I was going to say "Heads exploding" "singing lalalalalala" and of course their fall guy Satan!!

Some, possibly are thinking (gasp) and revamping their outlook.

Remember only 'God' can make a tree. ;-D

I had a co worker who aside from becoming totally speechless when a fellow co worker stated he was an Atheist, later moaned that it wasn't fair that many trees had longer lives than humans. I told him trees contribute far more than humans do to the well-being of the planet.

Go trees!!

Creationists were 'put here' for the entertainment of the rest of us. (exploding heads and all) over 1/2 million years ago. (honestly just cut them open and count their rings!)

Wow, sad. Nobody here has even tried to answer this question. It only seems to have served as a rallying call for like-minded "skeptics".

For one, tree-ring dating is not an absolute science. Not all trees exclusively form 1 ring per year - especially in drought periods. This has been demonstrated by scientists before - even in the lab.

So the real question is - by what method was the dating for that tree done?

And indeed, the report says radiocarbon dating was used. Okay. So what problems does that rise?

Well, none really - at least to me. Not even the hardest core creationists I know of are fixed on 6,000 years. Actually, for years, the resources I have read have given a loose 6,000-10,000 years age. Archbishop Usher's amazing chronology is based on 6,000 years, but conventional wisdom can still fit everything in 10,000 year time frame.

So - knock your straw man down!

Source(s): http://creationwiki.org/Dendrochronology Sorry to disappoint by not providing one of the 2 dozen prepared responses I was being expected to give.

Nothing.

They will only say, "Sorry, my calculator is not even analog yet and now it is digital already."

A thousand years in ancient traditions were merely an expression of length of time that is never exact, just like your mother telling you, "a hundred times, I told you not to jump on the bed" is not exactly a hundred times but just meant to be plenty or many times.

Now that money can easily be counted in trillions, you may know exactly what a thousand dollars worth is today compared as to how much value our great grandfathers would enjoy having a hundred dollars in his hands. What more of the past age when there was no clock yet that determines how many hours does it take to calculate a day.

• Jeanne

What happens ? now I will have have to change my driving license, it is only 6000 years old, now I need one older, my God ! all of those paper work waiting for me...are you sure the earth is not even older ? because the bible says so you know , I mean man came as last, any reading turt would know that much before going on appeal for justice among fools

They just cover their ears and go "lalalala" until you stop talking. That way they don't have to question their beliefs. Because questioning god is a sin.

Bonus answer: They know that trees die. They are sure of it because all the trees died during the great flood. Plus they think lots of the trees died when adam and eve tied their pet dinosaurs to the trees while they populated the earth with their own children. Did you know a recent study showed that people were unable to differentiate childrens fairy tales from religious stories of religions other than their own. Not exactly a big shocker is it?

I can't find any scriptural authority for believing that trees die. And the estimate of the earth's age made several hundred years ago is plainly a gross overestimate.

The Earth is vastly older than 6,000 years old, but the time of reckoning that God gave Adam at the Fall was the moment that time as we know it came into existence.

Before Adam and Eve ate of the forbidden fruit and were cast out of the garden, time did not exist for they were immortal beings and death was not known.

So 6,000 + years have passed since the time of Adam and Eve's expulsion. The earth's life is much older.

Source(s): LDS
  • rich k

They simply deny everything outside their own narrow world view like always. "God said it, I believe it, that settles it" leaves no need or room for critical thought or an open minded receptiveness to new ideas, the only moral principle in the Bible is blind obedience and, having been told what to believe, they obey. This leaves no need to deal with anything as trivial as "facts".

• Nate

There's a narrow range of possibilities:

1: They'll learn something

2: Their head will explode

3: They will give an incoherent answer, likely involving Satan, or a conspiracy of atheists/scientists

4: They will ignore you

5: Sputtering followed by flat out denial

Bonus answer: I don't know. I guess if you've lived in the city all your life and have never seen a dying tree maybe not?

The Holy FSM plays with the laws of the universe for fun again.

All scientific dating methods get corrupted by his humor.

The universe is really only 4 days old, give or take.