Why do Flies hang around light fittings in the middle of the kitchen/room?

Hi, I always thought flies liked my mums house because she had lots of pets and wasnt the tidyist of ppl, these flies always seemed to buzz around in circle around the lights in the kitchen or in the backrooms. They never seemed to go anywhere else but around the lights in the middle of the room. Sometimes 5 or 6... show more Hi, I always thought flies liked my mums house because she had lots of pets and wasnt the tidyist of ppl, these flies always seemed to buzz around in circle around the lights in the kitchen or in the backrooms. They never seemed to go anywhere else but around the lights in the middle of the room. Sometimes 5 or 6 at a time.
Ive since moved out and have laminate floors, am particulary clean, but I have noticed yet again that there were 3 or 4 flies hanging round the fire alarm in the middle of the kitchen, just flying about in the same back and forth zig zag movement.
Im am quite confused as I asumed they only did this when u had animals or an unkept house. Mine is certainly well kept so Im just bemused now....does anyone know why they do this?
Update: Hiya, Just to add...the lights are never on as its day time and at the moment they are flying around a fire alarm which has no light or heat comming from it.