Why do I keep hearing that the USA is "spreading democracy" when it invades other countries?

Was Saddam Hussein not "spreading democracy" when he invaded Kuwait? And how was the USA "spreading democracy" by restoring the unelected and autocratic Kuwaiti government to power?
Update: kengem; that's my point, the USA has never invaded anywhere to "spread democracy" it does it to increase its influence and its grip on world oil supplies. Even The Idiot's favourite speech writer & advisor David Frum admitted it; "An American-led overthrow of Saddam Hussein – and the... show more kengem; that's my point, the USA has never invaded anywhere to "spread democracy" it does it to increase its influence and its grip on world oil supplies. Even The Idiot's favourite speech writer & advisor David Frum admitted it; "An American-led overthrow of Saddam Hussein – and the replacement of the radical Baathist dictatorship with a new government more closely aligned with the United States would put America more wholly in charge of the region than any power since the Ottomans, or maybe even the Romans."