Yamaha V Star 650cc for road trip 1000 miles up I-5?

Is it safe to ride a 2003 Yamaha VStar 650cc on a road trip up Interstate 5, from So Cal to Oregon?

It is a 1000 mile trip up the I-5 from Southern California to Portland, OR. We are moving and will be driving our truck with a trailer full of our belongings, along with one of us riding the V Star.

Experienced rider, all the appropriate gear...main question is: is this bike big enough to make the trip?

It is a cruiser and comfy, in great condition...but, it is a 650cc and 2003. Any info or tips are greatly appreciated!

(NOT A Honda VTX 650cc AS ORIGINALLY THOUGHT.)

Favorite Answer

The V Star would do great, that the kind of trip it's made for. Now your butt on the other hand. You'll want to take a break at least every two hours or you're going to be in pain. Let me know when you get to Oregon, might ride with you sometime.

I've heard of people doing cross country trips on 250 sports bikes so you should be fine. I also live in So Cal and was thinking about doing a trip like that...but maybe just to Yosemite, then later to Oregon/Washington. Could you do me a favor and let me know how it went? I'd appreciate any advice/recommendations on making it more enjoyable.

Why not? It's a comfortable bike. As far as safety goes - well, a motorcycle is a motorcycle, after all. You're probably safer on an Interstate than in a city.

Source(s): Once rode a Honda 125 375 miles.

I have ridden I-5 many times. I would suggest that as long as your comfortable doing at least a constant 65mph, you will be fine. Any slower then that, and you will have a lot of cars, and even trucks dangerously close behind you.