Yamaha V Star 650cc for road trip 1000 miles up I-5?

Is it safe to ride a 2003 Yamaha VStar 650cc on a road trip up Interstate 5, from So Cal to Oregon?

It is a 1000 mile trip up the I-5 from Southern California to Portland, OR. We are moving and will be driving our truck with a trailer full of our belongings, along with one of us riding the V Star.

Experienced rider, all the appropriate gear...main question is: is this bike big enough to make the trip?

It is a cruiser and comfy, in great condition...but, it is a 650cc and 2003. Any info or tips are greatly appreciated!

(NOT A Honda VTX 650cc AS ORIGINALLY THOUGHT.)

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The V Star would do great, that the kind of trip it's made for. Now your butt on the other hand. You'll want to take a break at least every two hours or you're going to be in pain. Let me know when you get to Oregon, might ride with you sometime.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

I've heard of people doing cross country trips on 250 sports bikes so you should be fine. I also live in So Cal and was thinking about doing a trip like that...but maybe just to Yosemite, then later to Oregon/Washington. Could you do me a favor and let me know how it went? I'd appreciate any advice/recommendations on making it more enjoyable.

• 1 decade ago

Why not? It's a comfortable bike. As far as safety goes - well, a motorcycle is a motorcycle, after all. You're probably safer on an Interstate than in a city.

Source(s): Once rode a Honda 125 375 miles.
  • 1 decade ago

I have ridden I-5 many times. I would suggest that as long as your comfortable doing at least a constant 65mph, you will be fine. Any slower then that, and you will have a lot of cars, and even trucks dangerously close behind you.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.