pheench asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

Is there a place online to buy amoxicillin for cats without a presctiption?

My cat's tail might be infected. is there a place online to buy amoxicillin or any antibiotic for him?

Best Answer

Yes,you can purchase antibiotics,including Amoxicillin,that are labeled for fish,but are fine to use for dogs,cats and even humans. You would have to open the capsule and give about half of a 250 mg,capsule.I mix it into a teaspoon of meat baby food or tuna juice and give it with a syringe.It is much cheaper than the Amoxicillin from the vet and I have my vet's OK. She says that it is exactly the same as what you would get from a vet or from a drugstore. My cousin and I use it all the time and have never lost an animal yet. I know many other people who use them as well. Bring on the thumbs down,I don't care. At least he is trying to help his cat!

Here is where you can buy it online:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display...

I'm afraid I don't know of anyplace you can get an antibiotic without a prescription -- thank God for that, because misdiagnosis and incorrect use of antibiotics can cause more serious problems than the one you're talking about. First of all, you didn't really give a description of your cat's symptoms, so I don't know if there's even an infection or if you're just assuming it's infected. Even if it is infected, you should know that there are different types of infections (for instance, streptococcus, staphylococcus, etc.) and the appropriate antibiotic can only be determined once the type of infection is determined, since each antibiotic will only work on certain infections. Also, the correct dosage has to be determined based on your cat's weight and the type of bacteria that needs to be killed. Unless you're a vet, you can't make these determinations on your own.

Considering the fact that infections NEVER go away on their own (bacteria continue to multiply as long as they live), the infection will only get worse if it's not appropriately treated. And the only way to get it appropriately treated is by taking your cat to the vet. So PLEASE do that right away!

No. Take him to the vet. Overuse or misuse of antibiotics can cause resistance to the drug. Then if your cat gets sick, he will have to have special IV antibiotics which are much more expensive. With infections, skimping on vet care could cost your cat it's tail or even it's life.

No. Even if you could, you wouldn't know how much to give him - or that it's the appropriate antibiotic in this situation. Chances are you'd end up making the cat much sicker.

It only costs $25-45 for a vet appointment. Just man up and pay the money for crying out loud

I have bought antibiotics for myself at pet supply stores. Antibiotics are found with the aquarium supplies. Call first to see if they have what you want. Some will only carry weird fish antibiotics. You need amoxicillin like you said or penicillin.

I heard that some Latin American/Caribbean stores carry them but you have to ask the clerk. They keep it secret.

The best thing for you to do is to go to the vet or at least call.

If you are going to go ahead with this anyway make sure you visit veterinary sites and find out the right doses. You could harm your cat. Be very prudent.

But I did treat myself for an infected tooth with penicillin for aquariums. Worked fine but I still had to have a root canal.

Thank God there isn't.

Just go see a vet and get it from him. He'll know which one to use for best effect, dosage, and anything else that may very well be needed - kinda the result of why he studied years and years.

• clueless6 years agoReport

Yes you can buy fish antibiotics online. E-bay even. Obviously, you have not a clue.

Victoria Secret. They have good bras and they are efficient online.

go to the freakin vet and stop neglecting the thing.