Can anyone please help us identify this British Spider?

This thing has been living on our garden gate for over 12 months now. It did have a mate but it's disappeared (eaten probably). It’s bigger than a 50 pence piece and has yellow tiger stripe / wasp type markings on its body. Before I saw these on camera I thought it was a black widow. Also, is it poisonous or... show more This thing has been living on our garden gate for over 12 months now. It did have a mate but it's disappeared (eaten probably).

It’s bigger than a 50 pence piece and has yellow tiger stripe / wasp type markings on its body. Before I saw these on camera I thought it was a black widow. Also, is it poisonous or dangerous? Any info or links appreciated. This is the best picture I could get with full macro. Unfortunately I couldn’t get underneath it. Any info or links appreciated. Thanks for reading all that:

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm54/postbox111/Spider-Copy.jpg
Update: ughh is that all? I've seen loads of garden spiders but not like this. Oh well.
Update 2: oh yeah its nocturnal too