Why is it that I go to a wig shop for black women and all the hairstyles are ones non-black women wear?

I go to the beauty supply store with my mom all the time. and I guess because I've become more for natural beauty and pretty much against black women relaxing their hair, I became quite upset when my mom went to look for a wig and not one of those wigs reflected what a black womans hair truly looks like. all of the wigs had long (or short, or average length), silky, straight hair. either straight or loosley curled. most black women's hair does not look or feel like that unless they get it chemically altered.

I understand that everyone has thier own reasons for relaxing their hair whether it's so that hair is better to manage or because they think having long straight silky hair is beautiful. but, idk, I just get really upset now when I go into a hair supply store with my mom intended for black womens hair but about 95% of the products there are to chemically alter your hair.

I've been natural for about two years and, idk, maybe I'm going to the wrong places but it's extremely difficult for me to find hair products (besides online) specifically for black women who do not have relaxed hair. to me, that's kind of sad.

your thoughts please? please no rude comments. thanks

I even saw products for black women that will help lighten their skin complexion!

• JUICY
    Favorite Answer

I had my natural hair for 10 years now, I will never get a perm. My hair is thicker and healthier and men love it. Becuz I keeps it real and it reminds them of woman back in the days they dated. The reason why they only have those type of wigs and products is becuz they sell and their making money.

STYLES HAVE CHANGED THROUGH OUT THE YEARS. MUSIC PLAYS A BIG ROLE INTO IT. OUT HERE IN L.A. CALIFORNIA BLACK GIRLS HAVE THEIR HAIR LIKE NON BLACK GIRLS DO. THE WHOLE RIANAH THING IS BIG OUT HERE. NOT JUST THAT, BUT THATS WHAT HOT IN 09'. BOYS IN TIGHT PANTS, RIDIN SKATEBOARDS, AND GIRLS WITH WHITE ROCKER GIRL HAIR DOOS. I LOVE THE AFROCENTRIC LOOK ON A BLACK WOMEN. KEEP IT REAL GIRL.....

there's nothing wrong w/ a relaxer...grrrrrrr. and stop generalizing, what are black people hair styles then? jesus people can wear w/e hair style they want...there's no race when it comes to hairstyles.

stop this freaking nonsense