Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkBeer, Wine & Spirits · 1 decade ago

How old is the oldest person who has ever been carded while purchasing alcohol?

I bought some Guiness the other day, and the grocery clerk asked for my ID. I said, 'Well, I've been legal for about twenty years now, but fine. You can see my ID." I was ever-so-slightly annoyed. But then I thought, I ought to be glad that I'm 40 and someone thought I looked young enough that I just MIGHT be under 21.

So what's the oldest that anyone has ever been carded?

Favorite Answer

I carded a man once, and he turned out to be 57. The company told us to do 100% I.D. check, and that is what I did. I thought the man was gonna have a heart attack. After he got over the shock of being asked for a photo ID, he couldn't stop laughing.

• Teresa

Consult the Guiness Book of World Records, but I think that French lady who died about 10 years ago was one of, if not THE oldest whose age could actually be confirmed. She was 121. I'm pretty certain someone lived to 126, but can't find a reference. What made her interesting is that she was actually pretty active until only the few years before her death.

I once carded a man who was 87.

Legally, at least in the US, one has to have their ID on them to purchase alcohol, no matter how old they are, whether they get carded or not.

At one of the bars I used to work in, ABC employees would come in periodically and card everyone holding an alcoholic drink, no matter how old they were.

Don't get annoyed. People have to do it to keep their jobs and minimize their liability. That's like getting irritated at fire trucks for expecting you to get off the road when they're blazing up behind you, lights and siren blaring. It's for people's safety.

45

When I went through Honolulu airport and ordered a drink at the bar, my wife and I got carded (late 40s). But, the waitress said they had to card everyone who ordered a drink, regardless of how old they looked or were.

37

I was 30 at The Big Day Out in Sydney and a security guard who was about 12 and came up to my navel said

"You can't go in there without ID love when I tried to get behind the rope that separated the booze area from the riff raff!!

I was so happy he made the mistake...I kissed him! and then he let me in.

ROFLMFAO!!

my friends uncle got carded and he was 41 at the time. Mind you did did not look 21 AT ALL...had a baby face and was the same height and build as most of us going to the bar that night

I got carded buying cigarettes in Ireland when I was about 23-ish. That funny bit is that you only have to be 16 to buy cigarettes in Ireland so this chick thought I was 15 or younger.

• Mike

I am near 70 and I can not remember ever being carded except for checks ($)

Just remember Liquor licenses are very expensive very hard to get and the fines, , , stiff