Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

Fantasy novels worth reading? (please, im dying here)?

First of all, let me make this clear: NO VAMPIRE BOOKS! (except for Dracula, which I've already read; don't hate me for what I hate please)

If at least 2 other people you know have heard of the book, then I've probably read it. By that I mean: Harry Potter(duh), Lord of the Rings, Artemis Fowl, Olympians, A Great and Terrible Beauty, ALL TAMORA PIERCE, Eragon, Thief Lord, Terry Goodkind, Stephen King, Pellinor, Cornelia Funke, Pendragon, Phillp Pullman, Neil Gaiman, Redwall, Narina......etc

Preferably something I can get ahold of. I live in Toronto (ON, Canada). We have puny libraries and somewhat okay bookstores(just my opinion, fellow torontians.... mostly filled with overrated 'teen' books nowadays)

I'm definetly okay with romantice, horror, violence and other stuff, it just have to be FANTASY!

Thanks in advance :)

Thanks, Ramona. :)

Uhh... I just have to mention that I'm not actually dying dying. Only dying like as in slowly fading away because I'm tired of rereading the same books over and ove again.

Best Answer

Definitely check out George R.R. Martin's series if you haven't already. But you probably have if you're a big fantasy fan.

Hmm, Sarah Ash's Tears of Artamon is awesome, and I found it in a little badly stocked bookstore so there's a good chance you'll find it.

Anything by Terry Brooks is amazing.

Marion Zimmer Bradley's The Mists of Avalon.

Gene Wolfe's The Book of the New Sun.

Terry Pratchett of course.

Hilari Bell's The Goblin Wood.

Anne McCaffrey's Dragonflight.

Clive Barker's Galilee.

John Crowley's Little, Big.

Philip Jose Farmer's To Your Scattered Bodies Go.

These are some fantasy books I've enjoyed, I know how hard it is to find good fantasy books that aren't the same ones we see every day. So, good luck and happy reading!

Lily, I'm not a fantasy fan, but both our kids are, and they bullied me into reading the first book in the series they considered the best ever.

I'm a convert. I still am not a fantasy fan, but I've read this series twice through and bought them in hardcover.

George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series consists of four books so far, each massive:

A Game of Thrones

A Clash of Kings

A Storm of Swords

A Feast for Crows

I found the characters and fantasy world far better drawn than any in the other fantasy novels the kids insisted I try. Even the political and religious parts were not boring. The work is dark, as fantasy goes, with unexpected and unfair misfortunes befalling characters in a world where there's as much selfishness, evil, and greed as there is magic.

Im so unoriginal, im going to have to say the sword of truth books by Terry Goodkind. Id comapre them to the Song of the lioness quartet, seeing as how there kinda close, but I guess not exactly.

RIchard Cypher is a woodsman who's life is turned upside down when he finds out about the murder of his father and that he's the first seeker o truth in 1000 years. He meets wizard of the first order, Zeddicus Zul Zorrunader, and mother Confessor, Kahlan Amnell, and together, they have to fufull Richards destiny by killing the counties evil tyrant, Darken Rahl. (With of course some heavy roomance along the way ;)) Also these books can get a little graphic at times, (Espically at the end) so watch out for that

Source(s): Im on the seventh, The Pillars of Creation. I love these books, no matter what!

Have you tried Melissa Marr? Wicked Lovely is the first book.

I love Tamora Pierce, I'm waiting for the newest one I just ordered to come! Narina rules too!

A Certain Slant Of Light - Laura Whitcomb

I Heart You, You Haunt Me - Lisa Schroeder

There is also Evermore..but I didn't find it that great, I can't think of a ton that aren't vampire or not on your list already..they need to come out with some new stuff..here are some that I have just ordered but haven't read.

Wings by Aprilynne Pike

Wake - Lisa McMann

Tithe: A Modern Faerie Tale by Holly Black

The Sword of Truth Series by Terry Goodkind is a MUST read for any fantasy lover.

Wizards First Rule is the first book in the 11 novel series. It is brilliantly written and so captivating you'll not put it down until you've finished. Then, you'll want to pick it up and start again.

I'm certain your library will have it.

***I PROMISE that there are NO vampires!***

Hi, you might want to try my own recently published book, entitled "The Tales of Tanglewood: The Lon Dubh Whistle".

You can download the first three chapters for free, at http://www.talesoftanglewood.com

Within the pages of the book, readers will discover Colin, a child who is fully aware of the hidden world of myth and wonder hiding within the woods just beyond his home, long kept secret by old magic. Only the fey magic which runs through his veins has enabled Colin to find what others cannot; the Tanglewood, the 'wood within the woods.

Full of odd characters and creatures of the fey, the Tanglewood is a world of magnificent folklore come to life. As Colin begins to explore the Tanglewood, he will find friendship with the ferrish Ailfrid, the elfin girl Deidre, and Doc Muffingrow, a wise druid.

Colin will also find that there is much magic in himself, as well as dangerous enemies who will not let him find solace in the wood so easily. Ailil, King of the Sprites and ruler of The Below, has laid claim to his spirit, and Colin will need the help of his friends and quite a bit of magic to save himself.

The Tanglewood is a place like no other, and Colin is a boy like no other. Throughout his adventures, he will uncover the secret of the fey blood within him, and help dispel the poisonous corruption and hidden dangers that threaten the inhabitants of the wood and the Tanglewood itself.

For more details and to download the first three chapters for free, go to http://www.talesoftanglewood.com

or you can check out the reviews at Amazon.com

I'm breaking you're rule here on vampires, but Stephen King's Salem's Lot is definitely worth the read, great horror if you aren't completely heart-set on a happy ending. But understandable if you want to avoid vampires.

Also, Dean Koontz' "Fear Nothing" series is my absolute favorite of his, it's very dark at times and the conspiracy behind the plot is pretty disturbing but exhilarating.

World War Z is an incredibly articulate and intense (obviously) fictional recount of a zombie apocalypse, and I'm not kidding, the guy really uses amazing wording and it's very mature for the genre.

Sorry if you've read/heard of these, as I'm sure you have, but they're definitely worth mentioning :)

The Maximum Ride series by James Patterson The Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini The Percy Jackson and the Olympians series by Rick Riordan A Walk To Remember by Nicholas Sparks

Beyond the Gap (The Opening of the World) by Harry Turtledove. Turtledove has other good ones, as well.

The Dreamers series by David and Leigh Eddings. These are not "really great" books, but good, quick reads.

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Bride of Stone

Lord of the Isles series and Crown of the Isles series by David Drake

Hey there,

This is a link where you can downlod for free Amazing Adventures Around the World: http://bitly.com/1pnRiES

Finally the full version is avaiable!

Without a doubt, this is a very interesting game that will keep you sitting at your computer for long time.

It's surely the leader game of its type.