G
Lv 4
G asked in SportsBasketball · 1 decade ago

How much will Vince Carter help Orlando?

Will he fit with their style of play? Will they be a better team with a veteran superstar? Could he help the Magic return to the Eastern Conference Finals and the NBA Finals?

I'm just looking for some opinions and thoughts on the trade! Im excited as an Orlando Magic fan!

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Vince Carter gives Orlando a veteran, go-to scoring presence, especially at the end of games. Our goal remains the same -- to win a championship. Any time you can add an All-Star to help you reach your goals, you have to do it. Vince has been a consistent scorer in this league for 11 seasons.

Vince Carter is 32, but he still seems to have things left. He can still perform amazing windmill dunks. Vince Carter gives the Magic a perimeter scorer that can create his own shot, which is something they lacked against LA in the Finals. They just had no answer for Kobe Bryant. So Vince definetely will help. I mean Orlando's main tactic is to let Howard post so opposing people will double to prevent easy shots. Then Howard will pass out of the Double, and the Perimeter Player swing the ball around, till they find a open 3 point shooter. Vince Carter can Shoot 3s, and he can drive and finish too. So overall it poses more threat.

But the downside is they gave up Rafer Alston and COurtney Lee. Rafter played well in the Finals, excellent backup point guard after Jameer Nelson, and Courtney is simiply an impressive rookie, aside from that missed shot in Game 2. Courtney Lee has the potential to develop more, probably a good player.

The loss of those 2 players, and if they can't resign Turkologu, will hurt. But this offseason is just getting started!

Source(s): I was shocked and excited to see Vince here too!
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Hard to say. They gain an aging VC, but they lose Rafer Alston,shooting guard Courtney Lee and power forward Tony Battie. Also, A day after the Magic acquired Vince Carter from the New Jersey Nets, Turkoglu’s agent said Friday that he sent a notice to Orlando earlier this week that his client will opt out of his contract to become a free agent. Agent Lon Babby said the Magic had made Turkoglu an initial offer that Orlando general manager Otis Smith described as a “jumping off point.” Orlando’s payroll will likely dip into the luxury tax for the first time in franchise history, and Turkoglu is looking for a big payday after helping the Magic reach the NBA finals last season. He will be a free agent July 1.

Seems to me they are losing more then they are gaining. Alston played a great post season, Courtney Lee is showing potential to be an impact player in his NBA career, and losing Turk, their floor leader is huge. Seems to be a wash.

Source(s): Lakers 2010
  • 1 decade ago

Not that much. they only traded cause of shaq and cleaveland. how do you go to the finals then trade 3 guys and justify it? same with the cavs you win 66 games sweep the 1 and 2 round then want to say that the team needs help??????!!!!!!!! orlando needs hedo and the rest of the squad because vince is still decent but not as productive as those 3 were for the magic. orlando should have tried to sign a player similar to hedo and build period.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

He will fit very great with the style of play. Every body talkin about Lebron and shaq, but magics new big 4 are going to be explosive. Smart move by orlando seeing that cleveland is now a threat to there finals repeat apperance. The problem i think with orlando will be ego's. Who will be leader of orlando. Vincanity or Superman.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Anytime you get a veteran player on an up and coming team like Orlando it always helps but this trade will really help Orlando if they're able to resign Hedo . And lets just say Vince Carter wouldn't have missed that alleyoop Courtney Lee did ..

• 1 decade ago

I am sad and Happy at the same time. He is my favorite player, and it is hard to see him leave. He can run the pick and roll very well, and basically take the load off Dwight Howard. The Magic's offensive game plan is to get it to Dwight, or Shoot the 3, they do this by Screens, and Driving and dishing. Vince Carter, can catch and shoot, and he can drive, he can do practically anything. Overall good trade, and plus the Magic said there offseason isn't done yet.

• 1 decade ago

I'm a Knicks fan and nets fan, but I dont see Vince carter being the superstar he once was when he was with the raptors or early with NJ in his career after a bad injury when he landed on KG's foot after a tomahawk dunk in 08.

• Nickk
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

i dont think he will help at all courty lee and rafer alston were 2 of the biggest parts to how good the magic were and to trade theme foe VC hows really no where near as good as he use to be i mean look at the nets they had him j.kidd and jefferson and never made it past the semifinals in the east

• Legend
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

I think that if Vince plays up to his ability then the Magic will be back in the finals next season.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

He will be a huge addition and he will give orlando a legit Big 3 if they can stay healthy. although I like the Cavs as East favorites Orlando will definately be contending it should be fun to watch. Plus he is a huge upgrade from Hedo.

Source(s): Myself
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.