Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 decade ago

What does a police officer make ( entry Level )?

does anyone know what an entry level police officer would make one what would they make it berks county pennsylvania and two what would they make in Marion County Florida please im 15 trying to plan out my future please dont tell me to go look on there site because it doesnt say and if you know tell me what i need to do to become a entry level police officer thanks.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Starting salaries (now) in both states/counties average $35,000 to $45,000 annually, (depending on the township/city) Here in Maui, entry level positions average $45,000 annually, a friend of mine started at $3500 a month and received an increase after 18 months of employment. Obviously it's hard to predict what entry level salaries will be when your ready.

As for now, I suggest you discuss your career goals with your school counselors. That's what they're there for and they can best advise you on your education needs. Many departments in any state only require a high school diploma and academy training. Some require an associates degree in law enforcement but any continued education and/or degree in criminal justice or police sciences can lead to better opportunities.

• 1 decade ago

First off, you have to be 21, so it's a ways off. The pay will change a lot in 7 years. Next, education and prior experience will have an impact. If you have a degree in law enforcement, criminal justice, or something similar, you may be able to earn more. If you have military history, you'll be given a higher pay grade, and preferred hiring.

I'd advise you to join one of the services at 18, as a military police. That will gear you to being what they're looking for (though there are massive differences in policies on how to approach the criminals).

The state and city you apply at will also have a major impact. In Phoenix, AZ, you could expect about 18k for the first year, and get a raise every year or two. It's not very much, but it's good for a high school graduate. With 4 years military, you'll look at 24k.

• 5 years ago

San Francisco and Oakland are hiring as are most of the departments in the nine bay area counties. The Calif. Highway Patrol (CHP) is also hiring. The CHP has a very rough 6 month academy.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It depends. It could be in the mid 20's a year. Or it could be low 30's.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.