Why is Lt. Saavik called Mr. in the Star Trek movies?

I haven't seen all the movies, but in Wrath of Khan Kirk keeps calling her Mr. Saavik. I even put on the subtitles and it said Mr. too.

I am just so confused and any insight as to why would be very relieving.

Thanks

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Actually, it's not just custom to call a Lieutenant "Mr.", but any officer of Commander and lower, according to naval tradition (it is NOT regulation.

Furthermore, nowadays, it would be appropriate to call a female officer "Ms." it comes down tot he officer's individual choice. As such, Saavik probably expressed some desire to be called Mr."

There's a ton more detail available, but it's a bit off-topic from the question. :)

Source(s): "The Naval Officer's Guide" by William Mack, Harry Seymour and Lesa McCornas, pg. 91.
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • parkey
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Saavik Star Trek

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Mr Saavik

• 1 decade ago

In Naval Command it is proper to refer to a Lieutenant as Mr. regardless of their actual gender. Because Star Trek takes place mostly on the Enterprise which is considered a Naval Vessel Lt. Saavik is referred to as Mr. Saavik in order to keep that tradition going.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I agree with the first poster but would like to add that it takes the gender issue out of the equation. Everyone of rank is called Mr. so as to not delineate between men and women. Apparently they are progressive but not progressive enough to have equal respect for women without a constant reminder. Plus if you think about it, it makes everything easier. Who can keep up with if a female is a Miss, Mrs, or Ms.

• 4 years ago

That is not true

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.