I feel like a horrible mom, Wyatt is going to be 10 months in two days and has an ear infection?

This is the very first time he has been sick. I stopped breastfeeding him about 2 weeks ago and I feel like he is sick now because I weaned him. My hubby says I should've continued for year, my sister says he is sick because I breastfed him and didn't allow him to build up his own immunities and the doc says it's not my fault.

Did your breastfed baby ever get an ear infection? I mean, would he have gotten one even if I were breastfeeding? I'm trying to get him to take the breast again so I can get my supply back up even if it's only once or twice a day but he isn't having it. He will snuggle up to my chest like he did when he was breastfed but won't latch.. What am I supposed to do? Not force him to breastfeed or what? I wish I hadn't weaned him. He was no longer interested in nursing when I did but I really wish I wouldn't have went along with it.

I don't think my husband was trying to make me feel bad, I said I should've breastfed a year and he more or less aggreed rather than saying "oh it's not your fault". My sister however, she always trys to get a jab in when the oppertunity arrises.

Thank you all for your two cents.

Favorite Answer

1. It's not your husband's call how long YOU choose to breast feed. your breasts your choice.

2. your sister is ignorant of what she is saying. if letting babies "build their own immunities" w/out the help of mom's milk was done we'd have an AWFUL lot of seriously ill children out there.

3. Your doctor is correct.

Ear infections are quiet common in children. I have 4 kids, all breast fed (but my stepson that is- the oldest) and ALL have had ear infections here and there.

it's cold season....no big deal hon. babies get sick. BEING sick builds their immunities as well. he will be fine w/antibiotics and time. you didn't do a damn thing wrong and SHAME on your husband and sister for making you feel so bad about it.

Source(s): Mother of 4 ( 13 y/o son, 11 y/o son, 3 y/o daughter & 1 1/2 y/o son)
  • Sonya

My daughter had an ear infection at 6 months old... and she wasn't breastfed. Sometimes an ear infection is just an ear infection. The timing is probably a coincidence. My daughter is now 20 months old and has never had another ear infection. She has had a few cases of the sniffles and stuff though.

As for the person who said you breastfeeding isn't allowing them to build up immunity... I think they're stupid. Breastfeeding is a great support for your child's immunity! That was the biggest thing I regretted about not breastfeeding is that I couldn't provide extra immune support. I have to take a brain diuretic, so I wasn't able to breastfeed... it would have hurt my daughter.

• Joseph

Your baby has an ear infection. Welcome to the world. Sorry to be abrupt but I think you have to be shocked a bit. Stop listening to all those people. Babies get infections. They're human. Some get infections more than others. A baby doesn't lose anything when breastfeeding stops. And sure, it's easy for a MAN to say that you should have breast fed for a year. a man wouldn't last a week. You've done everything correct. And I'm sure the baby doctor knows more about it than your husband and your sister-in-law. But don't argue with them. It will not help you and will not help baby. The baby's eating; gaining weight; got medicine from the doctor. You're doing everything right. You're the mother and you inately know what is best for your baby.

Source(s): Father of two sets of twins. Girl-Girl>2 years later Girl-Girl> 3years later One little boy.All breast fed for first 3 months. All suffered with infections during 1st year. That was 15 years ago. Now the little boy is king of the castle.

Your sister is dead wrong. Breast feeding actually helps their immune system. And it is possible that the ear infection has come from weaning him, but it was bound to happen some time and it sounds like he has ready to be weaned. Don't beat yourself up about it, he will be fine and breast feeding for that long is great. From now on I'd just try to make sure he is upright when you give him a bottle.

• Meaux

Please don't blame him being sick on the weaning process. This is simply not true. It is a huge coincidence. I breastfed my daughter for 3 months and she got a respiratory illness in those first three months. The rest of the months (she is ten months) she has been on formula, and not one sickness/illness has happened to her. So please, again, don't feel this is your fault. You weaned him for personal reasons that are important and valuable to you and your baby. It's between you and your child. He is not sick because your breastfed him. In fact, breastmilk gives leukocytes that help fight infection, but it's not foolproof. It simply isn't. Breast milk isn't some miracle cure. It's simply a natural form of milk. Technology has allowed children who would otherwise die off from natural selection thrive due to formula, and different kinds of formula.

I have known of breastfed babies who got ear infections. In fact, most children are prone to them! Breastfed or not! Don't force him to breast feed if he's not into it. You did what you did, every drop was precious to him. Don't beat yourself up, you did a good job so far. Don't feel bad if you have to give him formula. It's a great, great alternative to breastmilk. Nothing wrong with it.