Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Does the right offer anyone comparable to Noam Chomsky?

Favorite Answer

What, what, what!?

You mean Rush, Hannity, Coulter, Friedman, O'Rielly and all the wingnut posters on here don't count!?

Great question. It's like the American denial that Einstein was openly socialist and advocated it.

And before anyone denies this, here it is:

http://monthlyreview.org/598einstein.php

Smart people are more often than not socialist, liberal, non-religious and pacifist.

Check out people who win Nobel Prizes.

Now compare those folks to what the right offers us. The only people on the right who are smart are economists, and their theories never seem to actually work. The only truly influential economist I can think of who had a clue was Keynes, and the right HATE him. (I've a degree in Economics, I might as well have a degree in Alchemy or Astrology. They've got as much predictive power as the classical economics supported by the right.)

EDIT:

Ayn Rand? Verbose doesn't equal brilliant. Her reputation for influence is much greater than her actual influence.

Christopher Hitchens is NOT conservative. He is a passionate atheist who thought that fundamentalist Christianity of the west was a lesser evil than fundamentalist Islam. His support of military intervention is hardly a quality that defines him as conservative. Liberals are not always opposed to war.

Buckley was a rich oil tycoon who promoted the interests of the rich. He founded the psuedointellectual National Review which has demonstrably hurt society with its lies and misrepresentations. I work at a place which subscribes to it. It would be a joke if weren't so respected and influential. Last year they ran an article on genetic determinism based on ignorant misrepresentation of issues that had been thoroughly answered by 1976. They ran this article as though they were on the cutting edge, and their semi-literate, scientically ignorant readership had no idea they were reading garbage. The article couldn't have been more of a misrepresentation if it had claimed that all scientists believe in ID.

Chomsky hasn't ever done anything like Buckley. Chomsky has made the world better. If Buckley had never been, the sun would shine brighter and the sky would be bluer.

EDIT:

Check out shevek_v's link.

That guy is most definitely NOT a modern conservative.

"In the book, Hayek writes that the government has a role to play in the economy through the monetary system, work-hours regulation, and institutions for the flow of proper information" (wiki link)

This cat, Hayek was also against laissez-faire capitalism, which is THE defining quality of the modern right. What do you think the term "free markets" means?

The economist Peter Schiff is the smartest guy I've seen on the right. Check out his interview on The Daily Show.

I'm very liberal, but I thought he might be right.

But, dude isn't a Chomsky. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone comparable to Chomsky in any category you wish to define. Chomsky's name is with the greats.

I cannot think of any of Chomsky's contemporaries on the right who match his intellect in political philosophy.

A past contender would have been the economist, Fredrich Hayek:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedrich_Hayek

Milton Friedman could have been another contender.

If you are looking for right wing academic thinkers try doing searches in the ares of ethno-symbolism and ethno-politics - especially those of Apartheid era South African origin.

P J O'Rourke is the best conservative theorist and commentator of his generation of you ask me.

I love him...and I am a leftie not a Dem...not even American...but he is witty, articulate and very politically savvy

I love the story about coming home from college all rebellious and announcing to his mega wealthy East Coast gran that he was a Communist.

And the old girl sips her Martini and says

"Well thank God you're not a Democrat, darlong"

ROFL!!

Priceless...and Holidays in Hell has a lot to tell us about Con foreign Policy objectives and preoccupations.

Source(s): I am serious...not taking the p!ss at all. I love the guy...have several of his books and collected writings.

Not really. Noam Chomsky's approach is fact-based and cerebral. The closest the right came to him was Wm. F. Buckley, an man whose intelligent commentary was over the heads of most Republicans today.

Conservatives today want red meat. They want right-wing talk show hosts who bloviate and bully and tell only one side of the story. It's more about confrontiveness and attitude than about facts.

The first answerer mentions Chomsky's fame as a language expert and says that most would be liberal. Perhaps he's forgotten S.I. Hayakawa. 8^) He was a professor of linguistics (or something) who rose to be president of San Francisco State College in the early 1970s and then served one term in the Senate for California. Actually Hayakawa was very intelligent and was able to present a good argument. He's been mostly forgotten today.

• Vahé

No one comes to mind. Ayn Rand, people like that, they aren't really even like other right-wingers. She's a pretty good example, but nothing like Chomsky even. I wouldn't call her a right-winger, either.

I think that's part of the problem with the right-wing. They don't want to look at the facts. They just look for what feels good. It's finally taken its toll on their movement.

I suppose it is possible that someone could rise up, but doubtful...

John Stuart Mill was certainly nothing like what we'd think of as a right-winger.

Noam Chomsky's views are just as much aligned (or misaligned) with both sides of the spectrum. He's an anarchist/libertarian and doesn't really belong on the left or the right of the political spectrum.

William Buckley?

There're Traditonal TRUE conservatives out there who advocates true freedom to all, but neo-cons choose to tune in Rush Limballs. LMAO.

Nope. Chomsky is the man. You'd have to go way back to like a John Stuart Mill, but that's really a stretch as there really are no true "conservatives" these days.

I do not know of any intelligent, well-reasoning arguers for semi-fascist ideas who provide "radical" cover for standard conservatives.

That would be the rightist equivalent of Chomsky, who is an intelligent, well-reasoning arguer for semi-socialist/anarchist ideas who provides "radical" cover for standard liberals.

Ah, well (sigh). He's better than nothing.

.

Source(s): an American Marxian socialist