Sleep asked in SportsHockey · 1 decade ago

Can a first round draft pick in the NHL refuse an entry level contract if it is not at the maximum $$$?

• Favorite Answer

Any drafted player can refuse any contract for any reason.

As long as the team offers them a contract, the player cannot become a free agent until 2 years after he was drafted.

The Current CBA stipulates entry level contract terms and lengths for players up to the age of 23

Howler - the same rules applied to Wheeler before and after the current CFA. Boston offered him less money than Phoenix did (Phoenix offered $875/yr for 2 years (as per both CBAs )and $6MM in incentived and bonuses - Boston only offered $3.9MM in bonuses) - Wheeler just had no desire to play in Phoenix.

Source(s): CBA

The Ottawa Senators had the 15th draft pick in 1998 and they selected Mathieu Chouinard. There was a deadline for the contract and Chouinard decided to not accept it because it was not what he had expected. In the 2000 draft, the Senators had the 15th pick in the 2nd round because of that and they choose Chouinard again. He kind of had to accept the contract if he wanted to play in the NHL but he only played 3 minutes and it wasn't even with the Senators.

Sure.....for that matter, a last round draft pick cold refuse a contract if it wasn't the maximum....nobody can force them to sign on the dotted line. Bonuses are a bigger issue for the entry level contracts I think.

Interesting

I could be wrong but I think that depends on when the players were drafted. If before the current CBA then yes and Blake Wheeler is an example. However snubbing a team that drafted you to go to another for more cash is not allowed and that player would have to sign for less than what was first offered to that player.

As Bob and Lity have stated it is possible, this is how Blake Wheeler became a Bruin, because he was unable to reach a contract with the Coyotes.

I could be mistaken, it's been a while, but didn't Eric Lindros refuse to go to the Nordiques??? Seriously, I can't remember. Hopefully I got it right.

Source(s): Save a tree, eat a beaver!

Hi

Of course, that is why it is called a contract. It is an agreement between two or more parties.

Thank You

Yeah.. anyone can refuse any contract for any reason, they simply just don't sign it.