Tap Water vs. Bottled Water?

What are the pros/cons of each? I understand the environmental impact of drinking bottled but what about any benefits of tap? Any health risks of either? I enjoy the taste of tap water more but just wondering...

Favorite Answer

Tap water has fluoride. That's good for your teeth.

It also has chlorine, chloramines, phosphates (especially in the spring and summer), Nitrates, various organic compounds, most likely some heavy metals, and according to some recent reports, traces of pharmaceuticals as well. Many of the nasties are seasonal, and regional as well. Farming is a major source of some of the chemicals in the water, even if there aren't farms specifically close to you.Tap water is cheap. The taste varies with region as well, but I've never really liked the taste of most tap water.

Bottled water comes in many forms:

Filtered drinking water-usually just tap water run through a carbon filter. You can do this at home if you wish.

Distilled-Tap water that has been steam distilled. It is very pure, and very safe to drink. Due to lacking phosphates and nitrates, it is good for fish tanks.

RO/DI water-Reverse osmosis and deionization. The purest water you can buy. Sometimes ozonated which sterilizes it as well. The ozone turns to Oxygen after use.

Spring water-must come from a spring and have a specific percentage of minerals in it. This does change the taste.

mineral water- has a higher percentage of minerals in it.

Depending on where you live, your tap water can contain fluoride. Other than that, I don't know. I suppose depending on what bottled water it is, it could have added vitamins, or it could be a fruity water. Other than that, it's the same as far as I know. I do know that hot tap water can pick up the metal from your pipes and get put into your water, but that doesn't really apply here unless you drink hot tap water, which is odd. I prefer bottled water, but I recycle. So back off environmental freaks and tree huggers.

Depends on the bottled water. You will see a lot of it is just purified drinking water. That means they take tap water and run it through a filter. Really they arent' doing a darn thing but making profit off fools. If you get SPRING water then you are getting real water, not your tap water. Anyway if you live in an area that puts fluoride in the water(like I do) then spring water gives you the benefit of not getting fluoride. I'm not going to bother getting in to this but the short version is fluoride attracts calcium to the teeth. Where do you think that calcium comes from? The truth is that fluoride robs the bones of calcium.

Tap water is sooo much better for unless it has lead in it :) Many generations drank it before bottled water was invented & never heard of anyone dying from it

tap water is actually better for your teeth cause it has flouride plus it has other natural minerals that bottled does'nt have.

tap water all the way, tastes better, better for you and cheaper