Is America ready for a third political party?

What party should it be? I know there are lots of parties that are not Dem or Rep, but lets face it all of them together can not financially stand up to either the Dems or Reps So, are the majority of Americans really ready for a strong third party and would this be beneficial?

Update:

I would have to go with the Libertarian party.

Update 2:

Thanks, but Im not really asking about the Libertarians. Im asking if we should or should not have a third party and if we should what do you think it should be?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Proud Libertarian for years......problem is the lemmings in this country have fallen for the whole red vs blue thing. No one wants to meet in the middle to discuss what is good for our country......all they care about is their own agendas

One side wants to push morals and personal beliefs down your throat and have the government regulate your personal life ( more big government )

The other side wants to be taken care of from cradle to grave by an ever expanding nanny government ( more big government )

Funny how the Dem's and GOP can come together when it comes to attacking the Libertarians......they don't want a 3rd party! They are satisfied with the status quo and take turns dividing the spoils......the sheeple in this country cant see that.....what a shame!

Something as simple as the "fair tax" they don't want to discuss....tell me what is wrong with EVERYONE paying their fair share without loop holes and complicated schemes that exist in our current tax system? If everyone paid taxes just on what they consumed...NO ONE ( Rich or Poor ) could evade paying.......not to mention we could save 6 billion a year to fund the thieves ( IRS ) who take our money.....why cant people see the lunacy in paying someone to rob you?

Instead the "right" brings up the legalization of marijuana ( as if it is our only platform ) and demonizes us as pot head crazies

The left demonizes us as racist because we believe that we are a sovereign nation that should defend our borders against illegal immigration...........geesh. Really?

Its all part of the propaganda of the left and the right to eliminate the competition........it gives you an illusion of freedom because you "think" you have a choice at the polls but do you really?

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

I don't think there is such a thing as a VIABLE third party. Which is unfortunately, but most go in and pull a lever and little or no thought goes into it. While on the surface it might sound like a good thing, it might just cause more problems then it would solve. For one thing if no party had a majority in congress it would set off bigger payoffs to the swing votes to get legislation through. It would also complicate and water down the vote so that maybe a better candidate couldn't get elected because it would split the vote 3 ways instead of 2. So in my opinion no America is not ready to have a third party.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The libertarian party is wasting time, this is the time for them to step up make themselves heard and conquer. Unfortunately, they are standing under the shade of the republican party and doing nothing...

Source(s): Just trying to be honest
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

There are plenty of political parties. They just don't have a lot of support. These days, a one or two percent take during a Presidential election is a good cycle.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Won`t happen, the companies won`t have it. And Libertarians are just Republicans that want drugs and prostitutes. Besides I don`t want a Somalia size government. Somalia is a good example of Libertarianism.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

libertarians don't have a shot.

Their intrinsic nature prevents them from unifying.

All they will end up doing is causing us to have a ding-dong President elected by virture of a plurality rather than a majority.

Thanks to Ross Perot, that's how we got Clinton.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

oh really. why don't you just say you:d stay democrat. same difference. people call themselves that and agree with all the laws that barry makes and disregards the law of land. give me a break.

we don;t need a third party we need to get rid of the one in charge now.

he:s the problem. He talks about Ahmadinejad when he is as bad. He is killing american without the guns. he is doing it making stupid laws and using our money to help him do it.

• 1 decade ago

I think we are ready for NO PARTIES, just run the best men/women for the jobs based on qualifications, not ideaology.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.