Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthWomen's Health · 1 decade ago

Yeast infection, bv, or side effect from bc?

I have been sexually active for a few months. Last month I had begun to get yeast infections. I have had 3 so far. My last yeast infection was last week. I had the discharge and the itching. I used Monistat 1 and waited 3 days before I had sex again. During these days I had no discharge, odor, or itching, I was fine. The day after I had sex, the discharge returned. It's not the typical cottage cheese discharge (it's never been), it's a thick white lotion-type discharge. It does have an odor, exactly the way period blood smells, not a strong fishy smell. Also, I've been on the birth contol Yasmin for a week, I don't know if this has anything to do with it. I don't know if I have another yeast infection or bv, but the only symptom I'm experiencing is the discharge, no type of discomfort. I read somewhere that it could be cervical mucus since I just started birth control. It's wierd because the discharge didn't start back up until after I had sex. Please help!!!

Best Answer

It's BV. I have had the same problem for about a year..I've been diagnosed with BV and a Yeast Infection.. and I have also been treated for both, and it never cleared up. Everytime I was done with the medicine, it cleared up, no odor, nothing. Then when me and my boyfriend would have sex, it all came back. I went to the doctor again, and the problem was that my boyfriend had it. If your in a relationship, next time you go to the doctor, tell them that everytime you have sex it comes back, and ask them if they can give you a prescription for him too. Because believe it or not, men can get BV too, and that's why you keep getting it.

Good Luck!!

Source(s): Personal Experience

First things first.

Any time you have a new partner, go to the gynecologist for an STD screen. This is your health and you should do everything you can to keep it healthy.

If you've been using Monistat and it keeps coming back, this is not a yeast infection.

This does sound like Bacterial Vaginosis, which is often mistaken for a yeast infection because the symptoms can be very similar. There is nothing over the counter to treat this, you need antibiotics from your doctor.

To diagnose BV, your doctor will take a swab, turn around right there and look at the sample in the petri dish. It takes five minutes.

Since you are only recently sexually active, I think you should take the other poster's advice and get checked for an STD just to be safe.

This does sound like BV, however. Your doctor will prescribe antiobiotics. Take them, finish them all, even when symptoms disappear.

Now for the do's and don'ts:

Wear cotton underwear. Synthetic fabrics trap heat, which allows bacterial balance to get out of control and you wind up with BV.

Wash with unscented soaps.

NEVER NEVER DOUCHE! Unless told to do so by your doctor, never douche. All that does is push bacteria up further where it doesn't belong.

Avoid sugary drinks and caffeine.

Eat yogurt that contains lactobacilli bacteria. It will help to put things back into balance.

Urinate after sex in order to avoid bladder infections and more.

I want to say you have BV as a result of having sex. Bacteria probably got pushed around.

Please use condoms.

Source(s): Had BV and yeast infections several times.

2

Source(s): My Yeast Infection Cured - http://YeastCure.trustdd.com/?LOWC

Although you have taken the medication to treat your yeast infection, there's a good chance that you still may have the infection. You really shouldn't of had sex so soon after taking the medication because it was probably still working. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the birth control but I would ask your doctor just to be safe.

Also, you might have passed your infection along to your boyfriend. He should go get checked too if he notices something isn't right.

• Lauren

Hello, I'm on the second week and seeing definite improvement on my yeast infection symptoms:

https://bitly.im/aMdrC

Note that: If the yeast infection doesn't respond to over the counter treatment, prescription medication will likely be necessary. Similarly, if the symptoms return after two months of being treated, you should contact the doctor for professional treatment rather than resorting again to home treatment.

https://bitly.im/aMdrC

If this is the first time you have experienced a yeast infection, you should schedule an appointment to have the condition treated by a doctor instead of resorting to home treatment

• Ewa

I'm sorry i don't know much about yeast infections but i just have to ask, WHY would you make me google that? I'll never be the same again. That image will be burned into my brain.

Make sure your boyfriend isn't doesn't have yeast and is acting as a reservoir for your infection. He might just have jock-itch. Ask him.

BTW, cervical mucous is most clear than the white lotion you describe.

Eliminate Yeast Infection Fast : http://YeastCured.uzaev.com/?gBsK

you should get checked for chlamydia cause they can often be mistaken for yeast infection

if it does not itch or smell fishy, it is completely normal. it may be either your vagina cleaning itself of bacteria after you had sex (sort of a self cleaning thing) or dead cells from your ovaries. both completely normal.