Y/A's Black community: The Black Community and the Democrat Party?

I Have always been curious on why the large turnout for the last few decades, considering how policies play out and affect everyone

Well I believe effort should be done to reverse the divide in the black community, and that starts with repairing the black family as well as image. Does this mean everyone? No, but issues like out of wedlock birth rates still persist in unfavorable numbers.

A good speaker on this and similar topics would be tmot, the preacher of truth.

http://www.youtube.com/user/tmotofga

Interesting guy, listen to some of his older videos as well.

The destruction of such came from the new deal, which ripped many people off, when collecting unemployment, you get paid more if you are single or without a father, they subsidized and encouraged single moms, what happened is that the father would leave when the inspector came around so a higher amount would be given to the family (if the system allows abuses, abuses will occur that is human nature) and then come back after the inspector left. Eventually the father stopped coming back creating more absent fathers.

Also the gender bias in affirmative action causes a slip as well, affirmative action has put 3 times more females into college than males, created an education gap and thus a further divide and split within the black community. As education plays a big part on who you socialize with as well as potential mates.

This mainly applies to the disadvantaged.

These policies along with Hollywood have been hurting the black community for several decades now. Hollywood influences young minds greatly and has perpetuated stereotypes more than any source.

Once the black family is united and self imaged restored you will see an increase in motivation, living standards, etc.

I'm not telling the black community to all go vote republican, libertarian, or any specific party just that, some consideration should be taken in. Also if any group votes as strong as 90%+ for one party no matter what, the party you vote for doesn't have to do anything, they have your vote, the other parties you never vote for won't do anything for you because they will not get your vote, it's almost like political sterilization.

Not insulting, it's a critical thinking question.

If you disagree and think these policies help, please explain what I have missed, or what facts have I omitted, otherwise, what are your thoughts on these issues and how they play out onto the black community?

I didn't say go vote republican, you can vote for the a third party, green, libertarian, indepenence, socialist or stay democrat,

People vote for two things, idealogical and what benifits them, if you take offense from that fact, that we as people are hedonistic, then there is nothing I can do about that.

Best Answer

I never got as to how some of my fellow Blacks could be so superficial and vote for Democrats. Republicans have had a better History, more Democrats opposed de-segregation than Republicans and remember, Bull Connor was a Democrat. A Democrat was responsible for starting the KKK.

I always have seen Democrats treat us Blacks as the special kids. By special I mean baby us, that is just embarrassing. I do not know how some brothas and sistas could be so stupid and call Republicans racist when they are really the less racist people in the US. Now I am not saying that we should just follow parties around like crazy, I am not saying that we should vote Republican but heck at least be an INDEPENDENT. Give both candidates a shot, don't be so stupid and vote for a candidate just because he is a Democrat. If Obama was a Republican and McCain was a Democrat, would you have voted for a 72 year old vet over a brilliant 47 year old man who has lived a tough life and has come out resilient because of it?

I just hate how the Democrat party just corrupts our inner city brothas and sistas. Its like the Democrats HAVE to label Republicans as racist in order to win the election, Republicans have to just campaign and that's all.

Democrats are trying to baby us and treat us as special kids. They spoil us by throwing money at us, they put in affirmative action so later in life if we say anything they can always reply "Oh well, you got into (ivy league college) because of affirmative action". Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are the main reason Democrats have success among African Americans, those two spread the message and the inner city community votes for the Democrats.

The bigotry and superficial thinking in American politics makes me sick. Hispanic voters and Asian voters will be a lot more important than Black voters (they kinda already are), and White voters will ALWAYS be split along the middle. I voted for Obama this past election because he was Black (yea bad mistake on my part but hey I wanted a Black president) but if it comes down to a White Democrat vs White Republican, I will look into the issues and then decide instead of blindly voting.

Issues like poverty give Democrats something to smile about, it is sad really. All Black Republicans are called "Uncle Toms", I guess someone as great is Colin Powell cannot be admired?

To Monmichka: In Prop 8 tons of Blacks opposed gay marriage, most of us Blacks oppose gay marriage. I am sure if you ask someone in Compton about gun control then they would be against it.

Edit: Racists tend to favor the right wing?

What about Black racists? They tend to favor Democrats. Also, why should it matter, all parties will have their negative sides, ghetto trash tends to favor Democrats but did that stop me from voting Democrat? QUIT generalizing and vote based on views, enough said! This question has incontrovertible evidence that Black voters are truly the most un-informed.

Source(s): 90 percent of all Blacks do not know this. MLK was a Republican!
  • Lee

While I agree there are people who abuse the system, the new deal in itself was not the reason for the fall of the black community. New deal came out in the 1930's the fall of the black community came in the 1980's because of crack cocaine and the governments "war on drugs". The common misconception of the war is that most people arrested for drugs are dealers, when in fact most are in jail for possession.

I agree to a point. It has been proven that affirmative action has helped more white women, thus white families, than any black people. But again I think the "war on drugs" and "gangsta (c)rap" music have been a bigger influence on the black community than Affirmative action.

You are absolutely correct on the media being responsible for influencing society as a whole, keeping us at odds with each other.

No argument there.

Unfortunately this is a two party system. Republicans have shown time and again they definitely don't care about the poor. Democrats at least "act" like they care and that is the reason why we tend to vote Democrat. The other parties don't have enough clout to make voting for them a logical choice.

Its not surprising considering the large turnout for the Democrats when the majority of the ex-Dixicrats hijacked the Republican party earning it a racist reputation. Doesn't help when the majority of racist tend to favor the right-wing. Unfortunately, that's just one of the stereotypes the Republican party has gained. :(

The thing is, I don't believe the New Deal created or "encouraged" single mothers. For me, that's bull. NOBODY can encourage a father to leave just because an inspector came around. Some people, perhaps, do that. But to blame that on the reason for absent fathers is quite pushing it. Especially if you haven't experienced it yourself. My own family was broken up because of the crack/cocaine epidemic (80s) that affected many families (not just black) in inner cities. I, myself, a product of that.

Where is your evidence supporting the gender bias? I always thought it was the other way around.

The problem lies in how the Republican party presents itself to the black community *and* working class.

And the thing is.....the Republicans of the 50s/60s and etc. aren't the same as the ones today. Same goes for Democrats.

Generally speaking the democrats try to publicly align themselves to the poor and minors. This is what they say in public avenues, whereas their personal opinions sometimes turn out to be quite the contrary.

But look at Hillary Clinton on MLK day, she made a speech comparing the republicans to "plantation owners". The democrats specifically target the poor and what are considered to be minorities because they make a large percentage of voters and thus they hope to get their candidates into office by playing those cards.

Fast forward to a time in history beyond 40 years where Blacks did not have their own voice, but had to choose the mentality of those they believe cared for them more. Today, there are many mentality dependent blacks looking for confirmation from people they believe have their best interest. There is still a wide division within black communities because culture, religion, political party and class are what a number look for in order to connect with fellow blacks. As far as the issues in the neighborhoods, these are vary common with low class areas that aren't provided with much and causes frustration and desperation. Prostitution, unprotected sex, gangs, drugs, all of this is common in poor communities.

Sorry to say it but you are all being conned by the political system.

the 'NEW WORLD ORDER" is what is on the agenda for all major political parties and Obama being in is just a smokescreen.

the USA just like their European counterparts has been and still is ( more so ) being manipulated by hidden powers who's aim is to reduce the world population by 80% for their own ends. ( seize resources ).

They don't care about the common man, black or white.

Source(s): Check out the freeman movement

No, I disagree. I'm not quite sure of the facts presented in your argument but if they are true:

Democratic policies were not put in place to have an adverse effect on the black community. Democrats do not push for legislation in order to break up black families or disenfranchise young black men. Therefore, what happens after the legislation goes through (legislation that is wholly meant to help me) is entirely my fault. Should that affect my voting practices? Absolutely not, because there are 10 other black people who are using this legislation to their advantage.

I don't agree with Republican policies. I'm pro-choice; I'm for separation of church and state; I'm for more diplomatic foreign relations; I'm for gun restrictions, who needs semi-automatic weapons? What's laughable is that you insinuate that black people vote strictly for people who are going to make things easier for them when, that is not the case. I listed American issues. And I guarantee that most black people you ask will tell the same thing. Do you really think we are that shallow? Are you sure your question isn't meant to be insulting?

EDIT: I'm not about to put someone in office that will take a woman's choice away. I'm not going to put someone in office that will build stupid fences to keep certain people out of the country. I'm not going to vote for someone that would rather shoot first and maaaayyyybe ask questions later. The Democratic party represents me the best.

The black community doesn't vote republican because republicans have for decades ignored the black community. Especially in southern states that are known for being hardcore conservative. You know, the states where dems barely get elected into office.

Voting republican won't happen for a long time. The GOP have themselves in an awful situation right now, and it will take years to repair their image before Americans consider voting for them, let alone a black person.

The only way to get the black community on the right path is to start providing better role models, etc. for black youth. If we can start encouraging people to wait till marriage to have a kid, and teaching black guys that once their kid has been conceived their job isn't over yet, we should be on the path for higher living standards, etc.

Now the Dems may not be providing as much for us as we like, but there doing a hell lot more than the republicans. Who knows, maybe we will see more blacks voting for repubs in the future, but it's gonna be pretty tough to break a tradition that has been practiced since the days of FDR (I believe that is when we started voting Dem.)

Basically, only time will tell.

Clif: Good point.

Girl below Clif made a good point too. I must say, I'm more in sync w/ dems than republicans. Not b/c dems do more for blacks, but b/c of political issues. I just don't like how repubs run this country. I must say, I can never see myself voting for one. Unless, they turn pro-choice, use diplomacy over military strenght, etc. then my vote will always go to the Dems.

Who the fluck are you ? certainly not God so how can you change anything? what makes you think anyone values your opinion? just drop dead somewhere and leave everyone alone.

You are on point...Very well said