Why do people automatically think that a black girl can't tan?

Seriously, this has been bothering me for WHILE now. I asked my friends if they wanted to go tanning with me the other day, and they all looked at me weird and said "You can do that?" I was like "Uh yeah I can". Why is that? I've been going to a tanning bed for 6 months now. I used to be a member at Darque Tan, but then they were really rude to me when I walked in and now I go to Malibu Tan. I'm not dark at all, I'm more of a rich caramel color, almost just a little bit darker, more of a redish tone, needless to say, it's a pretty light skin color. My parents are cool with it. I called my aunt and asked her if they had an tanning salons in their area, and she laughed at me. :/

What's so wrong for a black girl to go tanning?

I wanted to dye my hair a medium ash blonde with medium tan highlights, when I told my mom and my sisters I wanted to dye my hair. They said that I was trying to hard to be white and I need to accept my "color".

ah thanks for all your input I guess.

It has to do with my mom jeans, like my moms family started out white. I don't know how it works. My family is too complex for that. When I go tanning, I don't get darker, I get more of a pretty glow with a little bit of a tint in my skin. Thats why I like to go tanning because it makes my skin glow. Not get darker.

ugh sorry spelt genes wrong. :(

I'm just a little flustered right now.

Favorite Answer

1. Don't use a tanning bed. They are gross and your skin gets nasty.

2. Your friends are just uninformed. Of course you can tan. Everyone can tan. In fact, the more melatonin in your skin, the easier to tan.

3. I like a nice bronze on people, but don't go all artificial or leather. Tone it down a little.

Get down with your Black and Tan self!

Well I'm actually brown skin myself and I talk like a white guy because there weren't many blacks out in the country where I lived when growing up (I live in the city now though). It's just peoples perceptions and misunderstandings. We can go and tan if we like. We can go to the same gigs and do all the same things white people do. I know it can confuse them but just ignore them and keep doing what you do. Australia is a little more understanding with that (which is where I come from). People give me weird looks and stares all the time but I ignore them. I don't let them get to me.

Tanning IS BADDDDDDDDDDD Black, White, Asian, don't matter don't do it lol. Anyway I guess they look at you funny because you don't see too many Black women tanning and they just aren't smart if they think Black people don't change shades. I have white friends and they constantly have to ask me questions about being black like do I get darker in the sun and I just have to educate them lol.

Don't dye your hair! If you dye it blonde it will look unnatural and not good, man! its not wrong for you to go tanning, especially if you have that pretty caramel skin, but if you are really dark then its a little pointless....

omg I get where your coming from. My friends where talking about tanning (there already tan too one is middle eastern and the other half black so I found this really hypocritical) and I was like well I don't really wanna tan cause i'm happy with my skin tone and they started laughing at me! I was really offended, I was like whats so funny? and there like, like you can change your skin tone if you wanted to. I was like wth? Obviously I can. If you really want to tan go ahead and ignore those rude people.

you dont need to tan cuz your already tan! youll just get skin cancer for absolutley no reason

i think it isnt as weird for white people cuz they Have to tan they arent born with dark skin so when you already have tan colored skin why would you need more

and your hair... who cares? race doesnt decide hair color. judging by how you described your skin color i think taht color of hair would be really pretty.

you need to be you , not your race. your race doesnt decide who you are as a person and what you choose to look like.

• JJ

you shouldnt go tanning because in the future your skin will get wrinkly. people probably think that because they think a black girl is already tan enough. you should be comfortable in your own skin (lol)

haha! I have no idea! Cuz I know you can tan! Just like everybody else!

and whats with that "accepting color" thing?! Whats wrong with dying your hair! haha

you can tan, its just not really considered a tan, becuz tan is a skin tone, and well.. you are already darker then that skin tone. so i guesss you could get darker but it wouldn't really do anything i guess...

You should be happy with your skin color, besides tanning can cause wrinkles and skin cancer.