Why are people always saying, "I asked for the news, not the weather?"?

For like the past 5 years or so I've noticed people have this expression they like to say to me when I'm in a conversation with them. They always say, "I asked for the news, not the weather." It doesn't matter what we're talking about, it could be about the latest Nickelback album (which... show more For like the past 5 years or so I've noticed people have this expression they like to say to me when I'm in a conversation with them. They always say, "I asked for the news, not the weather." It doesn't matter what we're talking about, it could be about the latest Nickelback album (which rocks by the way!) and mid-sentence someone will cut me off and say, "I asked for the news, not the weather." I don't get it - is it some kind of way of saying, "yeah man I totally get what you're saying!!!" I don't get it - maybe it's like my words are so crazy they're like a hurricane (hence the weather)? Does anyone else ever say this or does anyone ever get told this too?