How do you dig a tunnel?

Specifically using hand tools, and into a hillside? i cant find much info on the web...

Why? Because i want to. What do you think? (Im going to dig a tunnel underneath the white house so in 50 years it sinks a little and causes minor structural damage.?) No.

So does anybody have any COMPETENT answers?

Favorite Answer

Pick the spot with the steepest slope, and proceed.

It depends upon the soil, if it is at all loose, it will be very difficult, and I would not attempt it. In a packed dirt sort of soil, wait a couple days after it rains, and start by digging a right angle into the hill, hit re bar in along the sides(excluding the hillside, and push plywood along the insides to avoid dirt piling in). Get long pieces of re bar, and hammer them in along where you want the sides of the tunnel to be, every 3 inches or so, as well as vertically, on top of the hill at first, then dig. This will be very time consuming.

Alternatively, for a shorter, but quicker tunnel, dig out the top of the tunnel, as well as raised edges along the side , put supports along the sides, and over the top on the raised edges, cover it with dirt.

If you rent The Great Escape you might find a lot of good ideas. Worked for the POWs, or so I hear.

Seriously though, I've been looking this up too and can't find anything useful. I guess the basics are dig, shore up the sides and ceiling. Dig some more. The internet has failed us on this quest.

The amount of tunnel reinforcing you need depends what you are digging threw. You will need lots of wood in any case.

What is the purpose of this tunnel? I guess you could just start digging, and support the part you have dug with chicken wire and fence posts.

Borrow a few bunnies and let them get on with it...a tunnel in no time.

use a shovel and dig. duhh. a 5 year old could have told you that

why?