Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesSubaru · 1 decade ago

Best Year for Subaru WRX and/or STI?

There are so many Pros and Cons of every year! (except 08... it has so many cons, it's not included since it's the ugly turd of the family)

02/03: 2nd best exterior design in my opinion (depending on the day, it can be my favorite), real foglights, controversial bugeye, momo steering wheel, nice hood scoop

04: lame fogs, newer exterior design, momo steering wheel, gigantically hideously (and slightly offensive) hoodscoop, upgraded the seats

05: better interior, still lame fogs, nicer 6-cd player, no momo steering wheel, still rocking the obnoxiously large hoodscoop, and got climate control

06: best exterior design in my opinion, best hoodscoop design (similar to 02/03), similar interior to 05. Year 06 is when they added 2.5L Engine.

07: same as 06 except they replaced some aluminum components with steel....

Well, that's it for aesthetics (the easy part) who wants to make the mechanical difference list?

My vote goes for 06 on best aesthetics

My next question is, should I go for the regular WRX or the WRX STI? I would love the STI but I am just a chick that will drive it normally. Would it be "too much." I am not using the car for anything special.

Favorite Answer

My favorite interior is the 02 wrx-best seats by far as they ACTUALLY hold you in. Least favorite interior is the STI interior from any year(the blue is...a little much and the 04 STI steering wheel looks like a plastic toy).

Here's just a few things off the top of my head(definitely NOT all of them):

02: WRX arrives in U.S. and remains a 2.0 liter until 2006 when it received the 2.5 liter engine. Drive-by-cable throttle.

03: Different brakes? lol

04: New body style (agreed on the ridonkulously large hoodscoop). STI arrives on U.S. soil with the new DCCD transmission and the same heavy control arms as the 02-03 sedan design(wagons of all years between 02 and 07 had slightly narrower front tract). Keeps 5x100 bolt pattern. Most Subarus receive a drive-by-wire throttle.

05: STI receives lightweight control arms and 5x114.3 bolt pattern. Aesthetically almost the same as 04.

06: New, aggressive, body style. STI remains mechanically similar power-wise. WRX receives the 2.5 liter block (same as the STI even though slightly different engine code).

07: Basically the same as 06

08:New chassis. New body style. STI only comes in wagon trim on the Impreza in the USDM.

As for your choice: If you're just going to drive it normally I wouldn't waste the money and insurance with the STI. I drive an 02 wrx wagon and with a few simple modifications and a tune by HB Speed it has 30 more hp and 40 more lbft torque than the stock STI. The 02 wrx has drive-by-cable throttle which feels much more direct and not laggy like the drive-by-wire after 03. The 02 wrx has better seats than any other Impreza IMO. If you want the best value for your daily driver and not astronomical insurance I would go with an 02 or 03 wrx (also the cops don't bug you in a wagon).

• beelar

Best Year Wrx

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Best Year for Subaru WRX and/or STI?

02/03: 2nd best exterior design in my opinion (depending on the day, it can be my favorite), real foglights, controversial bugeye, momo steering...

Source(s): year subaru wrx sti: https://shortly.im/rlrFS
  • Kyle M

If youre not going to do any sporty driving, dont bother spending the cash on the STI, unless youre set on the extra "cool factor."

Looks are up to you to decide though. Im a blobeye guy personally, but I also much prefer the over-the-top STi looks to the WRX's

Source(s): 05 WRX STi owner, porsche club of america member and racer, mechanical engineer at toyota, FSAE team member (we design, build and race small racecars from scratch)

Best Wrx Year

• Carla

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avl9l

suggested retail value for a wrx sti is - $27,160 private party sale- $25,240 excellent - $23,795 good- $21,745 fair (condition) all are for a base model with 30,000 miles on it which is the avg. for a car according to AAA 15,000 mile a year the 08's are not that nice and they are only making 800 of them, i think the 06' is the nicest looking wrk sti they made

Bottom line is that they are all great...

05 is my favorite because they widened the tires from 2004, and it has the front end that I love. Although the 06 front end has really grown on me.

The new one is by far the best from an engineering standpoint.

Better turbo, better engine, etc...

Whether you get the STI or just the WRX, both are great in the 08-09 trims.

There really is no wrong choice here. I commend you for doing your homework on these cars and following the differences between the years. That is impressive. Either model you choose, please believe that neither will disappoint you.

An 04 STi in Blue with gold rims. Maybe some Rota's if you want to just drive it in the street, or else some speedlines if you want to rally with it(you should want to rallye with it).