Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

? asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 decade ago

English question: What kind of expression is this "say" in this sentence?

What is the "Say," in "Say, have you seen my prize goat?" in the last line in the paragraph below?:

********************************

He sat down on the ground, exhausted. Suddenly, he saw a goat running at him, full speed. He leaped up, and it brushed past him, and fell in the hole. He listened, but there was no sound.

He sat down again. A few minutes later, a farmer came walking up. The man asked him, "How deep is this hole?" The farmer said, "Oh. Thats the bottomless pit. It never ends. Say, have you seen my prize goat?"

****************************

Although I assumed it's the same as "by the way", I'm not really sure.

What would you think?

Can anyone answer please?

Thank you.

Thanks all for the help! :)

Favorite Answer

This example of "say" does not have an actual meaning. It is an interjection used to gain someone's attention before making a question or making a suggestion. It is similar to ね.

ね、今何時?

"By the way" is an idiom used to add extra information when talking to someone. It is not always interchangeable with "say." It is interchangeable in this example, however.

Yes, "by the way" is a good definition of the way it is used here.

• ?

Yes, I'd say your analysis is correct.

"Say" = "Tell me"