Should a child under 18 pierce his body and get a tattoo?

If you say yes, I have an issue. My son who is 11 years old is obsessed in getting a tattoo and piercing his chest. I, being a heavy metal performer and a punk, would say yes if you say so. So can you give him tips on going to a shop to get a tattoo and pierce his body? he would also need tips on how to hide his tattoo and pierce in school and in public? Thanks a lot!!!! :^)

Favorite Answer

Yeah, right. Try again when you are eighteen.

Yes, and no. 11 is too young, and no shop is going to pierce or tattoo him. If there is a shop that will do it, don't go there. I got my labret pierced when I was 14. I think that piercings on kids are fine, but 14 is the youngest somebody is going to do it. Piercings can also come out, they leave a little scar, but they come out. I got my first tattoo at 17. I went with my mom, and she got one too. I think 17 is a little young, so the kid needs to really make sure that is what they want. I would say the ages that I did it, are probably the youngest any kid should.

Be a parent. Say no. An 11 year old will change his mind often. I don't care if you're punk, that's just being reckless, careless, and unfit!!

What artist in their right mind would say yes to tattooing an 11 year old!!

Besides, his body isn't matured yet. He's still growing and if he were tattooed now and hit a growth spurt, the tattoo will be distorted.

Think carefully: If you were allowed your every whim to be indulged as a 11 year old, how would you turn out? Probably a mess, no doubt.

I suggest giving him a packet of fake tattoos and have fun. Or letting him draw on himself with colored permanent markers. Who knows, he'll get out of this phase and turn goth. Then turn around to be a preppy boy, haha.

Source(s): Punk rocker with her head on straight
  • Holly

Depends how old the child is, and what piercing they want. A tattoo artist wouldn't go near a child, but a body piercer could probably pierce your ear lobes if a parent was present.

11 years old is really pushing it. I personally think tattoos are great and would let my child get one when i felt they were old enough to know for sure that is what they want.

I think at 11 he might not want to go through with the tattoo just yet. Maybe make a compromise to let him get the chest piercing (although his chest isn't fully grown and could cause problems as he grows) and wait on the tattoo until he is old enough to know for sure what tattoo he wants.

No reputable tattoo artist will tattoo an 11 year old. No reputable piercer will pierce anything other than the ears of an 11 year old, with parental consent.

My advice: Wait until your son (or, um, YOU) is old enough to go to someone who is NOT a creepy hack.

Source(s): I've worked in a piercing and tattoo shop.

I'm sorry but that's too young to get a piercing and a tattoo at 11 he should be at least 18 and over to get one.

• At the age of 11 his body hasn't hit puberty and has not grown into it's full potential. To let him get a tattoo at that age would make you an extremely irresponsible parent.

Teenagers don't even know what they are going to wear the next day, much less what tattoo they want on their body for the rest of their lives. Also teenagers are notorious for constantly changing their minds....When you were in high school I bet you had a completely different outlook on life and thought you were invincible and your likes, dislikes and opinions are now fairly different to what they are now as an adult.

Source(s): I waited until I was 18 to get my first tattoo and it's the best decision I've ever made. The 'thing' wanted when I was 15 would of been horrible to me now and I would of got it covered or removed.

The age limit is 18 for a reason. Your son should have no say over what he does to his body in the first place, he is not responsible for himself yet. Moreover, a tattoo or piercing would be very detrimental to your sons, still growing, body. I do not think its unwise to support your son in the things that you have grown to love but he is simply to mentally and physically underdeveloped to handle either one.

This is funny!!! You're not a parent, you're an 11 year old kid saying you're a parent, trying to figure out a way to get a tattoo without your mommy and daddy knowing! I can't believe so many people are falling for this!

Source(s): Shop owner, in the business 14 years.

I dont get it.. why does he want to pierce his body and get a tattoo if he has to hide it in school and in public?