Rem asked in SportsCycling · 1 decade ago

Road bike frame and Track bike frame (difference)?

What's the difference between these 2 types of frames? geometry/comfort/solidness?

should a road bike be converted to a fixed gear?

Best Answer

I second Anomaly...but, will add; YES: Do It!

Track Bike Frame

• Carlos

A true Track bicycle (not a fixie) has more harsh/aggressive geometry. It has a higher head angle, higher seat tube angle, shorter chainstays, shorter wheelbase, higher bottom bracket, and less fork rake. All this adds up to a bike that is very responsive and has sensitive steering. Like a race car. They tend to be stiffer, but that also depends on the quality and material. The drawback is that it's not the most comfortable. I sometimes go ride on a trail when the track is closed, and you feel every little thing on the road. It's also more difficult to keep it on a straight line than a road bike. It's designed to be out of balance so you can make quick turns. You can't ride for more than about an hour, though.

A conversion is just a less practical road bike. If you really want to try it out, then go for it. It's very fun. If you can afford 2 bikes, then that's the way to go in my opinion.

I am thinking more along the lines of $200. I am about to perform a conversion of a road bike to a fixie. Alas I hadn't been able to score a donor bike for $50 with horizontal dropout. So a friend offered me an old steel lugs Cilo RB which I am waiting for him to deliver.

I've already ordered wheels for $100 with flipflop hubs and I plan on stripping down the RB to just a front brake. I remember building and welding horizontal dropouts or repairing dropout via hot weld back in the 80's in metal shop at school. I plan to do this conversion myself and I have not built a bike in 15 years its not hard just set your mind to it get a frame that will work and go for it.

A track bicycle or track bike is a bicycle optimized for racing at a velodrome or outdoor track. Unlike road bicycles, the track bike is a fixed-gear bicycle and so has a single gear and neither freewheel nor brakes. Tires are narrow and inflated to high pressure to reduce rolling resistance. Tubular tires are often used.

A track bicycle differs from one used on the road by having:

• a higher bottom bracket so the pedals do not touch a steeply banked track;

• steeper seat tube for a more powerful aerodynamic positions;

• steeper head tube for more responsive steering; and

• less fork rake.

• Paul G

If you are talking in terms of older/vintage bikes they are basically the same (Make sure the bike has vertical dropouts). If you are considering converting a vintage bike you may be in over your head cost wise. I looked into picking up a used bike ($80). a new wheel set is $200 a new crank is around $70 along with that you are going to want new bars,stem etc etc etc..

if you choose not to buy any new stuff you are still going to need a tune up. your wheels trued etc..

you might as well just spend around 400-600 bucks and get a new bike.

To answer your second question "should a road bike be converted.....", there is no good answer for this. It's a big trend right now to ride a fixie, but impractical unless you only ride short distances on flat ground. Singlespeeds are really in right now too, even on mountain bikes, but you have to have really really strong legs and lungs to ride one and keep up with those on geared bikes.

• Dave

I know you can convert a road bike to a fixie. and its ok and reversable