How can I get into modeling/acting business?

Im 16 years old and I have been trying very hard to break in to modeling and/or acting business. I auditioned for an acting/modeling agency and I got a call back, but in order to get in front of a director we had to pay $6,000 which my parents weren't willing to pay, because it isn't a guaranty that I will get the part. And I have been trying to get on to web sites where they are casting but in order for a casting director to even look at my profile I have to pay, even though it mentions that the web site is "free." What I would like to know if there is ANY way for me to get noticed by a casting director with out me paying bunch of money first, if there is any web site that I don't have to pay in order for a director to see my profile. PLEASE HELP! THANK YOU!

Favorite Answer

real modeling business doesnt make you pay A CENT.

do not go to agency that make u pay cuz its a scam.

1

Source(s): Prevent Hair Loss http://enle.info/HowToStopHairLoss/?I093

Modelling and acting are totally different careers. Modelling is all about being tall and skinny. No talent is required, no skill, no intelligence. Acting is all about talent, training, experience and being well-educated. To become an actor you'll need to get into a good class and start learning. Also get loads of experience. And never mention that you're interested in modelling - no-one in the acting world has any respect for models, who they consider to be total airheads. After building up a great resume, you'll need to try for an agent, who would get you auditions. And never boast that you have the looks and talent - that's for others to judge, not you.

Modeling agencies like Ford, Elite, IMG, Women, DNA, Next, Marilyn, Major, One, NY Models, etc will not charge you $1 upfront if they want to represent you. All you have to do is look on their websites, get their address, and mail in a headshot and full body shot, or submit through their website if they allow you to - Ford and Elite both allow you to submit right through their site for free

A real agency should only charge you money AFTER they book you on a job, then take their commission. Anyone trying to charge you upfront is a scam. I've never heard of a casting that costs $6000 - that's probably the most expensive scam I've ever heard of. Good thing you didn't pay

Source(s): agency experience

Take this from a professional actress who's done a bit of modeling: any audition that makes you pay upfront is a big fat scam!

To get cast as a lead in most plays or films, you need an agent. Here's the catch: to get an agent, you need acting experience.

I'd say start out slowly. You're 16; you've got plenty of time. Audition for community theatre or local modeling gigs. Build up your resume. Once you make a name for yourself locally, move up to the big leagues. It'll be far easier to get noticed if you've got an impressive resume. If you don't already live there, move to NYC or LA.

For acting and modeling, you'll need great headshots. These usually cost at least $300, but I say this from experience - they're worth it. Send them out to as many agents and casting directors as you can find. You probably won't get much response at first, but that's okay. Keep sending them out. Once they've seen your headshots several times, someone will notice you.

Here's some stuff you need to think about. Make sure you know what you're getting into. Don't expect to completely make a living off of acting or modeling at first - most actors starting out, including myself, have to take a side job like waiting tables or typing - something simple, so you can focus on going to auditions.

Also, stay in school! Yep, that sounds corny and everyone says it, and it seems like it will take time away from your career, but casting directors in NY or LA will pay more attention to you if they see you attended a good theatre school. I suggest DePaul (in Chicago), Emerson (in Boston), or American Academy of Dramatic Arts (in NY). Obviously, major in theatre. In high school, take as many drama, speech, debate, and English-related classes as you can. They'll help you refine your natural talent and let you give the best, most informed and nuanced performances you can. Learn and practice monologues. It's a good idea for you to start collecting monologues suitable for you as soon as possible. Make sure you know what "type" you are - can you play the bubbly blonde, the eccentric artist, the leading lady? Can you do Shakespeare or more modern works, or both? Musicals? Drama? Find characters that are suitable for you, and make them your own. For modeling, find a signature look and pose, one that's uniquely you. Don't just copy Tyra Banks - make it your own. That's how to get noticed!

A final word of advice - my personal favorite actor, Brent Spiner, told me this: "For some, acting is a need, not a want. Do what you have to do." Only go into this field if you're absolutely certain you'd be miserable doing anything else. If you go into it halfheartedly, you're destined to fail. Choosing acting can either be the best decision of your life or a huge mistake. Give it your all; the rewards of doing what you love for a career can't be described in words.

Nothing is free. Many would have slept with the agents or director for the audition so they wouldn't have to pay for the 6,000$ - that's how the industry works. Plus 99.9% fail and come out of the industry broke, and having slept with 100+ old bald rich fat directors / producers / agents.

Get a real job.