fodleg asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

what is the best kind of food for a 5 year old Puggle?

Snoop is a male- we just got him.....

Favorite Answer

There are so many dog and cat foods on the market right now and most people are totally oblivious to healthy and unhealthy dog and cat food. I used to be, but after looking into dog and cat food and researching it I have completely changed my ways when it comes to dog and cat food. All of the food in Wal Mart and most foods from other stores such as Petsmart are unhealthy garbage. Why? Because they either carry:

“Artificial flavors, colors, and preservatives,” all of these can cause cancer and several other health problems. Cancer is the #1 killer of cats and dogs.

“By-products,” they are the junk in meat that are not approved for humans to eat. Road kill, cancerous, dead, and dying animals are allowed as well.

“Fillers,” are corn, wheat, and soy products that virtually don’t have any nutrition in them. They pass right through. Which also makes your dog have to eat more food to feel full.

Surely good dog and cat foods such as Science diet, Eukanuba, Iams, Pedigree, and Purina don’t have any of those and are great to feed my dogs and cats right? Wrong. These foods have most if not all of these terrible things.

Here are the first ten ingredients of three of the so called best foods, which make up most of what your dogs and cats eat and are the most important. The capitol words are the main

Things that are wrong with them.

Purina adult complete nutrition- WHOLE GRAIN CORN, POULTY BY-PRODUCT MEAL, ANIMAL FAT preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), CORN GLUTEN MEAL, MEAT AND BONE MEAL, brewers rice, soybean meal, barley, whole grain wheat, animal digest… (There is nothing good in that list at all)

Eukanuba-Chicken, CHICKEN BY-PRODUCTS MEAL, CORN MEAL, GROUND WHOLE GRAIN SORGUM, Ground Whole Grain Barley, Fish Meal (source of fish oil), Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Brewers Rice, Natural Chicken Flavor, Dried Beet Pulp (sugar removed)… (Most of what you see are either fillers or by-products)

Science Diet- GROUND WHOLE GRAIN CORN, CHICKEN BY-PRODUCT MEAL, Soybean Meal, ANIMAL FAT (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Soybean Oil, Chicken Liver Flavor, Flaxseed, Iodized Salt, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, … (first ingredient is a filler followed by by-products and more fillers)

Here is a list of both cat and dog well known foods and treats to stay away from-Fancy Feast, Alpo, Friskies,Mighty Dog, Dog Chow, Cat Chow, Puppy Chow, Kitten Chow, Beneful, Purina One, Purina ProPlan, DeliCat, HiPro, Kit’n’Kaboodle, Tender Vittles, Purina Veterinary Diets, MeowMix, Gravy Train, Kibbles ’n Bits, Wagwells, 9Lives, Cycle, Skippy, Nature’s Recipe, Milk Bone, Pup-Peroni, Snausages, Pounce, Pedigree, Waltham’s, Cesar, Sheba, Temptations, Goodlife Recipe, Sensible Choice, Excel, Hills Prescription Diets, Nature’s Best, Diamond, Ol’Roy, Iams, Nutro, Royal Canin.

Here are some foods that I recommend- Innova, California Natural, Evo, Blue Buffalo, Taste of the wild, Wellness, Merrick Before grains, Chicken soup for the cat lovers soul, Health Wise, Karma, Orijen. Plus there are many more great foods not listed. You have to look at the ingredients list of any food that you feed your dog. If it have any of the things listed as bad then immediately put it down.

To show what a good healthy dog food looks like, here is the ingredient list of Taste of the Wild High Prairie- Bison, venison, lamb meal, chicken meal, egg product, sweet potatoes, peas, potatoes, canola oil, roasted bison, roasted venison, natural flavor, tomato pomace, ocean fish meal, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Saccharomyces cerevesiae fermentation solubles, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Source(s): I have two dogs and two cats a 9 year old Pomeranian named Jake, a 7 year old long haired miniature Dachshund named Lady, and a 1 year old domestic medium hair calico cat named Bella and a 9 week old grey tabby kitten named Shiva. I used to feed them Purina and Purina cat chow but after gaining knowledge on the subject I switched to Blue Buffalo life protection formula and Blue buffalo spa selects. The change that I saw in my two dogs and cat was dramatic. Lady my Dachshund used to have bad skin allergies, sick days, bad coat, heavy shedding, and would want to eat a lot. After switching she has no more allergies, no more sick days, has a great coat, barely sheds, and she eats dramatically less. My Pom Jake used to have a dull coat, sick days, and runny stool. After switching he has a great coat, no sick days, and firm stool for the first time in his life. Bella used to have a dull coat, eat a ton, and would shed huge amounts. After switching her food her coat is beautiful and soft, she has reduced the amount she eats, and her shedding has greatly reduced. I am about to try Taste of the Wild it is rated 6/6 and looks awesome. I am going to get it off of doggiefood.com because you can get a 30lb bag for $38.50 shipping included for dogs and a 15lb bag for $22.99 for cats If you get it at a feed store it runs around $45.00 for dogs and $29.99 for cats. It is even cheaper than buying food like Purina because since it doesn't have fillers dogs eat less of it and it lasts longer. Plus less money goes out for the vet bill. I know that other people see other results in how much less their dogs eat. But I used to buy separate bags of food for each dog. Jake used to get an 18lb bag of Purina Small Bites for $20.00-$25.00 and Lady used to get a 18lb bag of Purina lamb and Rice for $25.00. It took them around two months to eat all of their food. I bought a 30lb bag of Blue Buffalo life protection formula at Petsmart for $42.00 for both dogs to share. It has been 4 months and they are only about half way done.

If & when you change food, do it slowly. If the Benaful is causing gas I would try something else. We feed all of our dogs Eukanuba Natural Lamb & Rice for dogs. We also fed this in the puppy variety. Somewhere between 6 & 24 months a puppy will quit growing, they will play differently - probably more quietly & they should be spayed or neutered. This will drop the pups need for calories a lot. Your dog is a Pug?? then I would start changing him over to a small breed adult food a little at a time. Careful NOT to over feed this causes medical problems. Just stick with a HIGH QUALITY dog food formulated for a small breed. Stay away from the cheap stuff, it is mostly corn & cereal & the dog does NOT receive the proper nutrition from it. Most of it passes right through. It fills their bellies but not for long. Then it fills your yard. The cheap brands can also lead to skin problems & allergies. Since you already feed Purina, try easing into something like Purina O.N.E. Turkey & Rice for small dogs. Good luck As for the gas problem, that can also be caused by cheap dog foods full of cereals & fillers. By cheap I mean low quality...

Since you got a mixed breed dog there is no way to know what he might be allergic to or do best on. Purebred dogs often do better on foods based on their ancestry. You need to just buy a top brands of which there are at least 20 and test them out on him. Both breeds he is mixed with do tend to be fat tho so a lite food would probably be best. Our local shelters, all 3, always have Pug/Beagle mixes in them, they do not seem to stay in homes long. There is a very fat male in the shelter now, he was a stray as most are but his owners don't care enough to get him back.

I hope to God you rescued him from a shelter and weren't DUMB enough to buy him from a backyard breeder or puppymill.

Since there is no such thing as a "puggle" but rather a pug x beagle mixed breed it doesn't matter what you feed him. There is no 'breed specific' food for mutts like there is for purebreds. Just give him some good quality small sized dog food.

* Give your dog healthy snacks such as fruits and vegetables: apple slices, carrot sticks, orange segments, banana slices, and frozen vegetables are all canine favorites.

* It's okay to give your dog a little bite of what you had for dinner, but only the bits you'd eat yourself--no fat or gristle, please!

* Some foods aren't good for dogs and can cause serious health problems. These include chocolate, onions, raisins, and grapes.

* Feed your dog at the same time every day.

* Make sure what you buy is high in protein, not grain-based, and that it's AAFCO-tested. The AAFCO, the American Association of Feed Control Officials, is a watchdog group that sets food-testing and labeling standards.

Here's more info.

http://dogtime.com/food-nutrition.html

Go to dogfoodanalysis.com, click on reviews. They tell you the ingredients, rate it and tell you why they gave it the rating they did.

For a good, AFFORDABLE food I would suggest Chicken Soup for the Dog lover Soul or Taste of the Wild for your pug/beagle mix.

PURINA....is a great brand and you can find it at Wal-Mart or most local super markets....puggles usually have a underbite...so you may need to get smaller kibbled food.....limit canned food it can rot the teeth....and good luck with yer new doggie

I personally like Natural Choice and so does my vet along with other vets i've had in the past with other dogs.

Source(s): life long dog owner, experience, vet assistant