Can I get Social Security?

Hello I am a 27 year old male living in Logan county in Oklahoma and i am in "dire straights" right now and have no work. I have A) both sciatic nerves impacted in my back thus rendering me unable to do a job that allows me to stand for more that 10 minuets at a time or any sort of manual labor. and B) seizures caused from O2 deficiency in my brain because of severe sleep apnea. Issue B was the reason i lost my last job with AT&T and I cannot get unemployment from it because i did not work there long enough. Now EVERY where that I apply refuses to hire me. I don't want to think it's because of my health problems but in reality I'm sure it has a major part in their decisions. Now my question is can i get SSI supplemental income or something of the sort? The bills are piling up and I can only borrow so much from friends and family.... I really don't know what else to do. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Favorite Answer

http://www.binderandbinder.com/contact-binder-and-...

Binder & Binder® Contact Information

Who is Eligible for Social Security Disability?

If you work long enough at a job, which is covered under the provisions of the Social Security Act, and become disabled, you are probably eligible for Social Security Disability benefits.

According to the Social Security Administration, a "disability" can be physical, or emotional, or some combination of both. In order to win benefits, you must have a disability severe enough to keep you from working in any regular paying job for at least 12 consecutive months.

The test for eligibility for Social Security Disability benefits is not whether you can go back to a job you have lost. It is not whether you have been able to find a job recently. The test is whether you are physically and emotionally CAPABLE of doing a job that is generally available in the national economy.

Furthermore, to obtain Social Security Disability benefits, you must have a doctor state that you are disabled. Your doctor's opinion should be supported by clinical findings and/or laboratory findings. Unfortunately, many genuinely disabling conditions are difficult to diagnose by objective testing. In cases like that, it is up to us to present your doctor's reports properly, and to convince the government that you deserve your Social Security Disability benefits.

Binder & Binder® National Headquarters

Mailing Address:

30-00 Northern Blvd.

Suite 7A

Long Island City, New York 11101

Telephone: 800.742.9696

Fax: 718.512.2424

Questions@BinderandBinder.com

Information@BInderandBinder.com - (For Clients ONLY)

If you do not reside near any of our local offices,

you can call our NATIONAL information Toll Free Number (800) 662-4633.

Click on the offices for details of that location.

Binder & Binder® Offices Toll-Free Numbers

Long Island City, New York 800.742.9696

Hauppauge, New York 800.362.6699

Bronx, New York 800.409.2760

By Appointment ONLY -- Brooklyn, New York 800.662.4633

By Appointment ONLY -- Forest Hills, New York 800.662.4633

By Appointment ONLY -- Jericho, New York 800.662.4633

By Appointment ONLY -- White Plains, New York 866.648.8029

Bloomfield, New Jersey 866.648.8030

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 866.648.8032

Fort Lauderdale, Florida 866.648.8034

By Appointment ONLY -- Orlando, Florida 866.208.7346

Tampa, Florida 866.208.7346

Miami, Florida 866.648.8035

Chicago, Illinois 866.648.8036

Orange, California 866.238-5365

Hayward, California 866.538.4150

San Bernardino , California 866.897.7227

Los Angeles, California 866.648.8031

By Appointment ONLY -- Long Beach, California 800.662.4633

Raleigh, North Carolina 919.872.9767

Houston, Texas 866-871-7070

Dallas, Texas 214-575-2361

Seattle, Washington 206-441-4520

Manhattan, New York

Coming Soon

A sciatic nerve impacted in your back could be helped by losing weight, but either way it's not a reasonable disability for Social Security because you can still get a desk job which means you are able to work, and that's how they look at it...They could care less if you can't get hired, the point is you ARE able to sit at a desk. I'm telling you what they will say, not my own personal idea. I don't wish for anyone to struggle.

If you would lose weight you wouldn't have severe sleep seizures cause from an o2 deficiency because of sleep apnea...So there's another problem gone.

I'm not trying to be mean, I do live in Oklahoma and I do feel for you and wish you could get assistance but more than likely they will not give it to you, then you will have to appeal and it could take a year before you get anything....Not to mention the most you're going to get is like 400-500 a month, which would barely cover rent and bills.

Try going to churches, they usually can help with a few bills or rent..Also go to your local DHS office, you for SURE qualify for food stamps...

You can apply, but the reality is that the average wait for approval is now at 2-3 years. This means that if you apply today, don't expect to win your case and receive any money for a few years. I wouldn't therefore look at it is an immediate solution to paying bills. If you are serious about your health problems/disabilities preventing you from working, then I would strongly consider applying. Your best bet would be to keep looking for a crappy job, work as long as you can, hope to get laid off/fired, and then file for unemployment if you aren't stable enough to work. You might also consider going back to school/vocational rehabilitation programs to get some sort of specialized training to open a few more doors to job opportunities. If you're serious about going into a particular area, you can use student loans to support yourself and cover your education until you get your degree, then pay back later.

The first three digits of your SSN should match the first three numbers of the zip code where you got your SSN. The next two are numbers given out in blocks. When I worked as a bouncer we had a chart of when the 4th and 5th numbers were given out to use for fake ID checking (if you SSN was used in 1945 and you claim to be 21 there might be a problem). If it was based on race this wouldn't have worked. The last 4 digits are just that 4 digits given out in order. My sister, brothers and I have consecutive numbers as my parents got our SSNs at the same time. If you want further proof my 5th digit is even(I'm white) and my wife's is odd(she is Chinese).

• neuve1

It appears you cannot work because you are disabled. Phone the social security office and ask them what is the procedure to apply for disability.,