Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesOther - United States · 1 decade ago

What do you think of Albuquerque New Mexico?

I was thinking about moving there... I was wondering if i could hear your comments about the city. Please and Thank you!

Favorite Answer

I can't believe that lady thought Albuquerque was in Mexico. If you are an idiot, please do try to answer questions. Someone mentioned that Albuquerque was probably not an intellectually stimulating town. That person was likely an idiot as well, because someone's intellectual growth should not be limited by their environment; there are schools and books in any city. First off, I have lived in Albuquerque most of my life. I just graduated from UNM and there are as many intelligent people in Albuquerque as any where else from my from my experiences. In fact, a large portion of downtown Albuquerque reflects a college atmosphere. There is a pretty good music scene and a decent downtown bar district. As for the city in general, it is not utterly impoverished, like someone else mentioned. There are poor sides of town with a high ethnic demographic such as the south valley and the "war zone" near east central. Most of the crime takes place in these areas but there is a large police force constantly on top of things. I have never felt unsafe in Albuquerque. There are also very wealthy parts of Albuquerque such as the north east heights. There are plenty of homes in this area that sell for upwards of a million dollars. Albuquerque has very pleasant suburbs that are growing incredibly fast. Rio Rancho and Taylor Ranch for instance, are great areas for raising a family; the school systems are pretty good and there are plenty of recreational activities for kids in these areas. Albuquerque in general is a rapidly growing city that has progressed much more than people seem to believe. For some reason, people have a vision of a desert with nothing but cactus and lizards for miles. Yes, New Mexico has a dry desert climate, but Albuquerque is a city. As far as the climate goes, Albuquerque has four distinct seasons. It is pretty hot in the summer and pretty cold in the winter. It rains occasionally and even sometimes snows. Is Albuquerque the best place to live in the US? Probably not, but it is certainly not a bad place to live. The population is great enough so that there are plenty of things to do, but it's not so great that you can't drive anywhere during rush hour for fear of being stuck in traffic for hours. So for the record, if you put a decent amount of people together, even in the middle of the desert, the result will be an advanced civilization. For Christ's sake, look at Las Vegas. And if you are really curious about moving to Albuquerque, come visit. Believe it or not, this desolate "unintellectual" patch of land in "Mexico" actually has a large airport. I'll be damned!

New Mexico is the third most impoverished state in the country. 19% of the residents live on or below the poverty line. And New Mexico has the third highest violent crime rate in the country. There are 8000 gang members in Albuquerque.

Albuquerque is a desert 5000 feet in elevation. There's a lot of intense sunlight here. Some people walk around with umbrellas open to keep the sunlight off of them. There are some intense wind storms that blow dust all over the place. And when it does rain, the rain it saturated with dirt. You'll have to get your car washed after it rains.

The job market in Albuquerque is not that good. The Federal Government is the largest employer in New Mexico. They operate Los Alamos and Sandia National Labs and the three Air Force Bases in the state. Otherwise, there aren't many big businesses here. But they do make movies and TV shows here. But they only hire extras. Everyone else comes from Hollywood.

When I moved here my auto insurance doubled. That's because a driver not having insurance tends to be the norm here. There are quite a few burglaries and car thefts here. My sister got robbed at gunpoint while walking out of Apple Bs (at Coors and I-40) one night. Alcoholism and drug use is rampant here. You'll usually get a whole family of junkies. And there's not much to do here.

But the humidity is rather low. And the Northeast section of town is nice. Otherwise, the place is a dump.

Just so you know:

Sante Fe translates to Holy Faith.

Sandia translates to Watermelon.

Rio Grande translates to Big River.

Source(s): I live here.

oh, please tell me that guy who was talking about swine flu in Mexico was kidding....

Well....it is the biggest city in NM, which isn't saying much. I think standard of living / cost of living / wages are lower than many US cities. Lots of lower-middle class folks. People are friendly & pleasant enough. Does not seem like a very intellectually stimulating town. If you are into hiking/biking, you will be happy! Dry climate, high up so doesn't get too hot, yes it does snow sometimes & ski slopes not far to drive to.

Lotsa HIPPIES too around UNM! Gotta eat at the Frontier, have some green chile stew and follow it up with one of their monster cinnamon rolls for dessert!

Its a cool place theres casino's off the forty freeway a few of them, it snows some in he winter,I thought about moving there but i'm stuck with a house in cali.im a truck driver and go there alot it's nice! you'll miss the chargers when they win all there play offs & take the superbowl !!!!!!!!

Well I have a friend down there.

It's also the setting of Breaking Bad.

I dont think you should move out there

NO WHERE iN MEXiCO every since that swine flu came around, its very dangerous to be out there. I heard that on the news. They said people should stay away from Mexico.

I've never heard of it... probably boring and hot and in the middle in the desert